Chat > Chit Chat

The Most Recent Irritation

(1/2) > >>

burakkucat:
Mid-morning, last Friday, the telephone made it electronic noise signalling the presence of an incoming call. The receiver was lifted and my normal acknowledgement was issued. Silence, then a click and lots of background "yibber-yabbering" was heard.

(Female Asian voice): "Hello."
(Grump Cat, clearly, firmly but slightly tetchily): "Yes?"
(Female Asian voice): "Hello. My name is Jane and I'm calling you from TalkTalk about your Internet service."
(Grump Cat, clearly, firmly and tetchily): "No."
<A distinct pause.>
(Female Asian voice): "Why?"
(Grump Cat, clearly and firmly): "No, you are not calling me from TalkTalk."
<Another pause.>
<Then a click as the call was cleared down at the far end.>

broadstairs:
That describes very many calls I have had over the past year or two, some of which don't end so politely by merely hanging up  ;) Some times I manage to waste their time by playing along until they realise they are being had!

Stuart

burakkucat:

--- Quote from: broadstairs on April 16, 2017, 10:50:08 PM ---Some times I manage to waste their time by playing along until they realise they are being had!

--- End quote ---

Indeed, that's one technique I occasionally use.  :D

speedyrite:
I just don't answer any calls from Withheld ("tell them I'll call them back!"), International, badly spoofed numbers (that contain too many or not enough digits to be valid) or any number that I don't recognise. If it's a genuine and important caller, they will leave a message - almost never happens. Works for me...

broadstairs:

--- Quote from: speedyrite on April 17, 2017, 07:58:51 AM ---I just don't answer any calls from Withheld ("tell them I'll call them back!"), International, badly spoofed numbers (that contain too many or not enough digits to be valid) or any number that I don't recognise. If it's a genuine and important caller, they will leave a message - almost never happens. Works for me...

--- End quote ---

Yes I can ignore those which are obviously wrong but when it appears to be a genuine UK phone number calling then leaving it to the answerphone might mean some calls get missed. For example NHS callers are told NOT to leave messages for privacy reasons, and there are others.

Stuart

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version