Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VDSL Channel bonding  (Read 2765 times)

parkdale

• Reg Member
VDSL Channel bonding
« on: April 16, 2017, 10:40:59 AM »

I noticed that AVM are now selling a Fritzbox that can bond 2 VDSL connections to get Super G Fast connections, just not in this country yet:( (Netherlands only)

https://en.avm.de/products/fritzbox/fritzbox7581/

They are using a 'Y' cable to achieve this, any one know how this works? and I suspect that 450m/b connection is great if the cab is next to your house:)

Almost tempted  ::)  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AVM-Fritz-Box-Fon-Wlan-7581-International-edition-20002735-Fritzbox-7580-NEW-/232303243701

[Moderator edited to reduce the complexity of the above URL.]
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 04:55:43 PM by burakkucat »
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
Re: VDSL Channel bonding
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 12:13:12 PM »

After looking at the specs it doesn't seem to offer G.Fast and I'm not sure what they mean by VDSL bonding as it only has 1 VDSL port. Could be something specific to the Netherlands. Maybe you need to use the WAN port and a separate modem. The 'Y' cable is just some adapter for the phone connection, nothing to do with VDSL.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 12:46:24 PM »

It's not G.fast. It supports VDSL2 profile 35b, also known as "SuperVectoring", which uses frequencies up to 35MHz. The operators in some countries decided to upgrade their FTTC networks with profile 35b / SuperVectoring VDSL2 equipment, Openreach opted for G.fast instead.

The RJ11 VDSL2 socket appears to have 4 pins, so it would be quite simple to have one line wired to the inner pair of pins, and another line wired to the outer pair of pins. The technical data does say "Y-cable for bonding connection".

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 05:30:43 PM »

The ebay description says "DSL/ISDN (Y)-cable" whatever that means and there is no indication it has 2 VDSL2 modems for a bonded connection. I think it is a basically a normal modem/router supporting VDSL2 profile 35b so nothing to get excited about.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 05:41:38 PM »

I was mostly reading the avm.de website about the 7581.

Picture attached is a screenshot of part of the Quick Guide PDF.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 06:33:50 PM »

The ebay description says "DSL/ISDN (Y)-cable" whatever that means and there is no indication it has 2 VDSL2 modems for a bonded connection. I think it is a basically a normal modem/router supporting VDSL2 profile 35b so nothing to get excited about.
The Y cable takes 2 separate feeds and combines them to a single rj11 using 4 pins. A number of Fritz!box units have this. It's much more common in Denmark, where most ISP's offer proper bonding.

edit: exactly as in the picture ejs posted
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 07:21:43 PM »

Did a little more digging, found this is the chipset it uses
http://www.intel.eu/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/anywan-grx750-home-gateway-brief.pdf
Looks like a rework of the Lantiq chip design, don't know if it's any good for my use as there's more features than I want in a 'All in one'
 :-\

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 07:54:09 PM »

What lead you to that conclusion?

I don't think it uses the GRX750. The GRX750 is probably too new to be in any devices that are currently available to buy.

Most FritzBoxes are Lantiq based, including the 7580, but the 7581 is Broadcom based.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 12:17:01 AM »

my bad :-[. i thought they were both Lantiq/Intel GRX based chipsets, as it is theres quite a long gripe list on the Dutch forums about lack of promised but not delivered features.
If it is broadcom based then the use of better stats will be good.... hopefully.