Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Experimenting With My New ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A  (Read 4009 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
Experimenting With My New ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A
« on: October 23, 2017, 02:17:53 PM »

Received a S/H VMG1312-B10A today purchased from a forum member via the "hardware swap shop" facility, very happy with the purchase although not put the unit on line yet.

Router is running the latest firmware, V1.00(AAJZ.12), 28/07/17.
Noted that the GUI supervisor level was not accessable with the default supervisor/zyad1234 combination, the administrator level access worked with the default admin/1234 combination.
A factory reset/re-boot did not change this situation.

Using the "dumpmdm" file method as described on the forum I have obtained the supervisor password (plain text, hex/dec format) and now have access at supervisor level.
There still appears to be a "user" or "zyuser" access level, from the "dumpmdm" text file ID/PW would appear to be user/user, however, this combination or indeed the old defaults of zyuser/1234 won't permit access at user level.

As I now have access at the highest level I appreciate that this is hypothetical, just wondering why adopting the same method of obtaining the PW for supervisor level does not work with user level ?
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Experimenting With My New ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 06:00:40 PM »

Received a S/H VMG1312-B10A today . . .

<snip>

There still appears to be a "user" or "zyuser" access level, from the "dumpmdm" text file ID/PW would appear to be user/user, however, this combination or indeed the old defaults of zyuser/1234 won't permit access at user level.

As I now have access at the highest level I appreciate that this is hypothetical, just wondering why adopting the same method of obtaining the PW for supervisor level does not work with user level ?

Log into the device as supervisor and invoke a Busybox shell. Take a look at the system password file with either --

cat /etc/passwd

-- or --

cat /var/passwd

-- (I forget which is applicable to the VMG1312-B10A) and then you will see the valid login names for the device.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 08:33:17 PM »

Both commands work and produce the same results as below, listed in this order: (sorry, can't easily snapshot from this PC)

supervisor:+(a line of text, PW not recognisably listed)
nobody:+(a line of text)
admin:+(a line of text, PW not recognisably listed)

Still of the opinion that a "user" acccount still exists as predictive text produces "user" when typing into logon screen as per "supervisor" and "admin" and "user" ID & PW is listed in the "dumpmdm" text file in the same format as "supervisor" and "administrator".
"zyuser" also produces the predictive text effect.

As I said, all hypothetical really with having the supervisor level PW, just curious ?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 09:40:10 PM »

The difference from a HG612 to VMG1312-B10A using the BCM63168 chipset always seems to sync sync higher from 2 - 3 Mbps  :fingers:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 09:41:16 PM »

Both commands work and produce the same results . . .

So I assume that /etc/passwd is just a symbolic link to the /var/passwd file, as is with the VMG1312-B10D.

supervisor:+(a line of text, PW not recognisably listed)
nobody:+(a line of text)
admin:+(a line of text, PW not recognisably listed)

Yes, that is the exact format I can see with my VMG1312-B10A. The passwords are encrypted with the descrypt() function.

Code: [Select]
~ # cat /etc/passwd
supervisor:.............:0:0:Administrator:/:/bin/sh
nobody:.............:99:99:nobody for ftp:/:/bin/false
admin:.............:100:0:Administrator:/:/bin/sh
~ #

Where "............." are the descrypt() encrypted passwords.

Still of the opinion that a "user" acccount still exists as predictive text produces "user" when typing into logon screen as per "supervisor" and "admin" and "user" ID & PW is listed in the "dumpmdm" text file in the same format as "supervisor" and "administrator".
"zyuser" also produces the predictive text effect.

Yes, I appreciate that. However what you are seeing is the result of a "configuration template" (for want of a better description) but is not a reflection of the accounts that are currently configured. The latter is disclosed by viewing the /etc/passwd file.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 12:21:24 AM »

The difference from a HG612 to VMG1312-B10A using the BCM63168 chipset always seems to sync sync higher from 2 - 3 Mbps  :fingers:

Yes, appreciated, the enhanced BCM chip set was one of my main considerations in choosing the VMG1312-B10A as a future replacement for my current combination.
Not yet connected to my line, I intend to run as a router behind my HG612 (replacing my Netgear router) for a while until I get everything configured, reserved I/P addresses, Wi-Fi MAC filtering etc. to minimise any possible re-synch's and upsetting DLM..

Currently not sure how to configure this on the 1312-B10A, plenty of guidance for running the unit as a modem only (bridge mode) but can't find any guidance on configuration the other way around, this was very easy to achieve on my existing Netgear DGND3700v2 ?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 12:43:09 AM »

Not yet connected to my line, I intend to run as a router behind my HG612 (replacing my Netgear router) for a while until I get everything configured, reserved I/P addresses, Wi-Fi MAC filtering etc. to minimise any possible re-synch's and upsetting DLM..

Currently not sure how to configure this on the 1312-B10A, plenty of guidance for running the unit as a modem only (bridge mode) but can't find any guidance on configuration the other way around, . . .

Do you have a copy of the User's Guide?

Section 6.6, on Page 87, is titled "The Ethernet WAN Screen". That is from where I would make a start.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 10:50:23 AM »

@ b*cat:

Thanks for the guidance on user group/PW access to the router GUI.
As stated earlier, thanks to the information available on the forum enabling acquisition of the supervisor PW, full control of "user" privileges becomes available so direct login access at that level becomes hypothetical, I was just curious as to why it appears not to be available in later firmware revisions.

Ref. using 1312-B10A as a router with HG612 modem:
Yes, I do have a manual which I have consulted, however, I am still unclear as to the configuration required for this permutation, guidance on running the 1312-B10A as a modem to another router I understand but 1312 as a router only, don't know.
I surmise that both of these permutations are still defined as "bridge mode" ?

atkinsong

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 03:19:28 PM »

The HG612 will be in bridge mode, but the VMG1310 should remain in Routing mode with LAN port 4 enabled as a WAN ethernet port.

This is covered on pages 87/88 of the guide. So once you have enabled Lan port 4 as a WAN port, it should route between this Wan port and the remaining 3 LAN ports instead of between the internal modem and the LAN ports. Hope this helps!
ISP:A&A, FTTP 160/30, Router Fritzbox 7530

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 06:14:51 PM »

Just to stress the point (and this is the second occurrence, in the space of less than a month, when I have needed to do so) a device manufactured as a modem/router can normally operate in three modes (unless the manufacturer has provided a less than helpful, crippled configuration interface) --
  • As a modem/router.
  • As a modem (for this the device is configured to operate in bridge mode).
  • As a router (for this the device needs to be configured with an EWAN interface active).
I understand that initially you would like to use the HG612 (in bridge mode) as the modem and the VMG1312-B10A as the router. Then once experience has been gained with the VMG1312-B10A operating in router mode, you plan on removing the HG612 and reconfiguring the VMG1312-B10A as a "one box" modem/router solution?  :-\

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 06:53:41 PM »

If you use the ZyXEL as an all in one unit you can change anything on the router side Wi-Fi included firewall and other stuff without causing the internal modem (VDSL2) to resync it's just a drop of the PPPoE session like you would get in bridge mode on any router.

And you can disconnect an connect your current PPPoE session in the GUI without causing a VDSL2 resync  :)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 07:06:08 PM by NewtronStar »

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 07:49:20 PM »

Just to stress the point (and this is the second occurrence, in the space of less than a month, when I have needed to do so) a device manufactured as a modem/router can normally operate in three modes (unless the manufacturer has provided a less than helpful, crippled configuration interface) --
  • As a modem/router.
  • As a modem (for this the device is configured to operate in bridge mode).
  • As a router (for this the device needs to be configured with an EWAN interface active).
I understand that initially you would like to use the HG612 (in bridge mode) as the modem and the VMG1312-B10A as the router. Then once experience has been gained with the VMG1312-B10A operating in router mode, you plan on removing the HG612 and reconfiguring the VMG1312-B10A as a "one box" modem/router solution?  :-\

Thanks for your patience, clarification of the terms and advice, much appreciated.

Yes, that's my intention but I will certainly take NS's suggestion on board also.

I am currently just playing with the 1312A's GUI (new toy) on a laptop and in no great hurry to put into service.

anything