Broadband Related > ISPs

Which ISP?

(1/3) > >>

MarkyR74:
Hi guys. After some help as I'm really stuck. It's that time of year when my broadband contract is up. I'm currently on BT Infinity 1, I'm getting 27MBPS down and 8MBPS up using the Home Hub 5 Type B. I did buy the new Smart Hub and got up to 30MBPS, my lines estimated max is 33MBPS, but I removed the Smart Hub as it's been hanging when it reboots every 8 to 10 days.

So I've been looking at options, my exchange has TalkTalk and Sky LLU, I don't really want Sky, I was looking at the Now TV option but it's a bit expensive for what it is.

I've looked at Idnet but they are also expensive and can slow you down in the evenings.

I've looked at Plusnet but I really want more then the 2MBPS upload speed they offer, they won't let me have the higher speed package as my line won't go above 33.

I've looked at John Lewis, what do people make of them?

And then I've also looked at EE, but I'm not sure if they support G.INP or not? But are they a good performer with reliable speeds, how does their traffic management affect it on fibre?

Out uses are email, internet, tons of streaming, Xbox One and PS4 so gaming and large file downloading with those demos and patches. Devices are iPads and iPhones, I have an old Mac laptop which I use now and then.
I run everything on wireless, can't be doing with those cables haha, I use the Netgear Orbi WAP system though so I have no wireless issues, I do use and will use the ISP router for routing and DHCP though because the Orbi seems to perform a bit better as purely a WAP and not a router as well.

Should I consider staying with BT and wait for new firmware to fix the Smart Hub? See if I can get a new deal off them? Don't want their TV service at all and I'm happy with pay as you go calls as the phones isn't used much.

I am really stuck on which way to go? I can't afford AA prices, I've looked at Pulse8 but not really sure about them?

What do you advise? I can't get Virgin either.

jaydub:
Same answer as on TBB, out of the this list, Pulse8 or IDNet will undoubtedly give you better service than the rest.

The only person I am aware of on IDNet who has posted about speed problems have had their issue fixed by IDNet.

I've already given you chapter and verse on Pulse8.  Maybe not quite in the same league as the the very best, but remarkedly good value for money and you will save a lot on phone bills even if you don't use the phone much.  Our BT call costs were roughly £18 a quarter.  Out last three months with Pulse8 is roughly £1.

TalkTalk Business is worth a look but you are committing to a two year contract, which is something I wasn't willing to do.

Zen are also still worth a look, although they do have more posting of speed issues than they used to and they are not competitive on phones, so you would want to keep your phone line with BT or migrate the phone to someone like Pulse8.

MarkyR74:

--- Quote from: jaydub on April 14, 2017, 11:04:49 AM ---Same answer as on TBB, out of the this list, Pulse8 or IDNet will undoubtedly give you better service than the rest.

The only person I am aware of on IDNet who has posted about speed problems have had their issue fixed by IDNet.

I've already given you chapter and verse on Pulse8.  Maybe not quite in the same league as the the very best, but remarkedly good value for money and you will save a lot on phone bills even if you don't use the phone much.  Our BT call costs were roughly £18 a quarter.  Out last three months with Pulse8 is roughly £1.

TalkTalk Business is worth a look but you are committing to a two year contract, which is something I wasn't willing to do.

Zen are also still worth a look, although they do have more posting of speed issues than they used to and they are not competitive on phones, so you would want to keep your phone line with BT or migrate the phone to someone like Pulse8.

--- End quote ---

Did you? Thanks. Zen again are too expensive and will cost me more then Idnet. I don't think Idnet et el are worth it as my line only gets 33mbps, and the chap,who had issues with Idnet I never saw state it was fixed, the last I saw were speed tests showing slow downs in the evenings?

Don't really want to deal with TT directly, but with Pulse8 is your data at risk? I ask as I believe it was them who had customers data stolen? I really have an issue with that. Are all your more personal details and bank details kept with Pulse8 and not TTB?

Also what's EE like? If my line isn't the best, is BT's G.INP a better idea for performance over an LLU provider?

roseway:
With FTTC, the LLU providers use the same BT hardware as everyone else, and this includes the G.Inp availability. The only difference is in their backhaul, which is connected via a GEA link cable in the exchange.

MarkyR74:

--- Quote from: roseway on April 14, 2017, 11:55:01 AM ---With FTTC, the LLU providers use the same BT hardware as everyone else, and this includes the G.Inp availability. The only difference is in their backhaul, which is connected via a GEA link cable in the exchange.

--- End quote ---

I was thinking of the backhauls. But yes you are right they use the same kit. But they don't all support G.INP with their routers do they? From what I can tell EEs brightbox doesn't does it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version