Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30

Author Topic: Virgin Media coming to Thanet?  (Read 113807 times)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: Virgin Media coming to Thanet?
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2017, 08:07:33 PM »

VM is already here in my town and has been for years. The annoying thing is we are on a new development and vm cables run right past the estate being at the bottom of the road that enters the estate. Why ever the developer did not get them to lay cables at the same time is beyond me. I have tried to speak to vm about it as there are plenty of houses that they would probably pick up but they just don't seem remotely interested, considering the service is already here surely this would be an easy way to pick up some more customers but it seems not to be ::)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2017, 08:13:08 PM »

The build in Bangor is in progress and has been since at least January.

Interesting we don't have roadworks.org like you have on the mainland have looked for something similar for here but can't find one on the NET

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2017, 10:39:56 PM »

Interesting we don't have roadworks.org like you have on the mainland have looked for something similar for here but can't find one on the NET
http://trafficwatchni.com/travel-information-map
Only seems to show road/lane closures, and a few other minor works.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2017, 07:11:38 PM »

Many thanks John for the link it's better than having nothing at all.

CLOKent

• Just arrived
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2017, 01:14:27 PM »

I can confirm that Virgin Media is coming to Thanet (I do work for them) - we start in Garlinge next Monday and rollout the rest of Thanet over the next 18 months. An aggressive plan is in place to get the WHOLE of Thanet in Fibre to the premise network by August 2018.

Look out for information events being held in the area and men spraying biodegradable paint marking the paths. They will also be working with big orange barriers and boards saying 'Virgin Media'.. so hopefully won't be hard to spot!!

There will also be introductory offers and you register your interest in advance.

Thanks! :)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2017, 01:28:53 PM »

Thanks for the update CLOKent and welcome to the forums.

I registered my interest months ago, looking forward to having the option.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2017, 03:30:22 PM »

Great news.... nice to see some real information

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2017, 03:54:25 PM »

There are roadworks scheduled for this week in the Hartsdown area, nothing showing for Garlinge yet though.

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2017, 06:41:48 PM »

I can confirm that Virgin Media is coming to Thanet (I do work for them) - we start in Garlinge next Monday and rollout the rest of Thanet over the next 18 months. An aggressive plan is in place to get the WHOLE of Thanet in Fibre to the premise network by August 2018.

Look out for information events being held in the area and men spraying biodegradable paint marking the paths. They will also be working with big orange barriers and boards saying 'Virgin Media'.. so hopefully won't be hard to spot!!

There will also be introductory offers and you register your interest in advance.

Thanks! :)

Welcome CLOKent. Good to have somebody direct from VM participating on the forum.

There are roadworks scheduled for this week in the Hartsdown area, nothing showing for Garlinge yet though.
I think that the area is the Garlinge electoral ward. Still, first permits starting tomorrow, plenty more to come!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 06:48:11 PM by Zico »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2017, 07:29:35 PM »

Just a thought, but how does the physical connection work with VM. Do they install specific connection points in the pavement outside each house when they lay the fibre?

When I built the house extension I ran a 15mm plastic conduit (which is hopefully suitable) from the outside wall to my server room in anticipation of FTTP, obviously there is an optimum point nearest to this in the pavement.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2017, 03:06:29 PM »

Just a thought, but how does the physical connection work with VM. Do they install specific connection points in the pavement outside each house when they lay the fibre?

Correct.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2017, 03:44:30 PM »

Thanks for the confirmation,  any way to make sure it's installed in a suitable location?

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2017, 03:56:34 PM »

Thanks for the confirmation,  any way to make sure it's installed in a suitable location?

Not really, unless you are around when they are doing the work. A guy will spray a T on the pavement and your swept tee where the fibre will break from the duct in the pavement and enter your property will go roughly there.

For the install itself in common with BT they want to install a termination point on a wall then go through the wall into the property. I'm not sure how accommodating they can be for you but if it came to it it couldn't hurt to ask the question.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2017, 10:35:14 PM »

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for the sprayed T, might have to erase one and spray another  ;)

Yokomoko

• Just arrived
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2017, 11:30:08 AM »

Signed up specifically for this thread. Really happy we'll be able to get VM fairly soon (Especially considering my place or work pays for my internet!).

I live between WWX and Westwood Industrial Estate. I've signed up for my interest to get Virgin and they stated that there are absolutely no plans currently to come to my area? I find this a little strange since Virgin seem to currently be cabling down Poorhole Lane; a 5-minute walk from my house. Any thoughts/ideas?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30