Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 30

Author Topic: Virgin Media coming to Thanet?  (Read 113820 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Virgin Media coming to Thanet?
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2017, 01:03:53 PM »

Look on roadworks.org  and set the date filter to three months, you'll see lots of Virgin Media work scheduled with more being adding regulary.

I'm on the Wimpy estate not far from you and there are signs up advising of the work starting next week,  also around Northwood,  the whole majority of Thanet is being done eventually.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 07:56:05 AM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2017, 12:07:48 AM »

It's probably better to say that a large majority of Thanet is being connected up. There will be areas that will be missed for whatever reasons. Only VM would be able to state where and why they have chosen areas.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2017, 12:22:27 AM »

Virgin are experts at covering entire areas but randomly skipping individual streets/villages.

Is your postcode different to those around you?
Like everyone else is AB12 3xx but you are AB12 4xx
If your postcode isn't slightly different to those around then there's always the possibility they will just pass you by. It could be something expensive preventing them reaching a small number of properties so not worth it.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2017, 07:55:16 AM »

It's probably better to say that a large majority of Thanet is being connected up. There will be areas that will be missed for whatever reasons. Only VM would be able to state where and why they have chosen areas.

Yes that is very true.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2017, 07:42:20 PM »

Not sure if this is Virgin coming to Rathmore Road Bangor N.I we don't have Roadworks.Org so just going by eyesight large reels of green cable seen last week and now it's been put under the pathways KN networks are doing the job and grey cabinets are popping up.

This all happening a mile away from me just wondering whats going on as it's on a massive scale
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 07:57:03 PM by NewtronStar »

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2017, 08:10:18 PM »

VM are using green ducting for the fibre strands and they are linked back to small grey cabinets in turn.

You could try visiting the Cable My Street link to check if they are indeed expanding in your area.
http://www.virginmedia.com/cablemystreet/

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2017, 08:46:28 PM »

Have tried 20 postcodes in the area and same results

We're expanding our network
Although we can't connect you to Virgin Media at the moment, we're still planning where we're going. That's where you come in. Register your interest below to help us decide which communities to connect as part of our expansion plans

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2017, 09:41:34 PM »

Might be worth just stopping and having a chat with one of the contractors.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2017, 05:41:41 PM »

I was chatting to a friend last night who knows someone quite high up in VM and he said that Carlton Avenue Broadstairs (where he lives) is not scheduled in the next 18 months, something to do with the cost of closing off the top junction.  He also said that the data would be routed via Ashford and Dover, and this could cause congestion problems, no idea how true this is though.

I spoke to the contractors doing our estate, and they are not doing our section, apparently another team is. I see further area's of Broadstiars are now showing scheduled for September.

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2017, 06:00:57 PM »

The cost of a TTRO (Temporary traffic regulation order) for a closure is £475 + ~£100 for advertising. The rest of the costs will be down to the potential construction and civil costs of Virgin Media. A TTRO can be made up for multiple closures so effectively you could have one TTRO drawn up covering all roads that VM needed to close in the process (though the more roads and dates etc. the messier it gets to keep to advertised dates if there are interruptions or other reasons for delay).

I've no idea on the routing from Thanet. The nearest points are obviously Ashford or Dover for the time being (though the hope in the longer term is that Herne Bay, Whitstable & Canterbury are included in VM expansion).

There will be more gangs coming on stream soon. There are already several gangs operating under different sub-contractors who are all ultimately working for Virgin Media. My colleagues are meeting regularly with the main sub contractor and Virgin Media to discuss the works to date and there has been a few hiccups already.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 08:10:14 PM by Zico »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2017, 08:57:52 PM »

I was chatting to a friend last night who knows someone quite high up in VM and he said that Carlton Avenue Broadstairs (where he lives) is not scheduled in the next 18 months, something to do with the cost of closing off the top junction.  He also said that the data would be routed via Ashford and Dover, and this could cause congestion problems, no idea how true this is though.

I spoke to the contractors doing our estate, and they are not doing our section, apparently another team is. I see further area's of Broadstiars are now showing scheduled for September.

That probably means Crow Hill is out as well.....  :( Carlton Avenue is a bus route for the 38 bus.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2017, 06:12:04 AM »

I was sat in a friend's front garden in Crow Hill Saturday evening enjoying a beer & BBQ.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2017, 10:20:35 AM »

Thanks Zico for the info,  I missed your post earlier.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2017, 02:15:47 PM »

After the comment about Carlton Avenue I just checked Roadworks.org and it show VM working in Lindenthorpe Road from 20/9 to 10/10 later this year which is only just up the road from Crow Hill, plus lots around the Chess Board area ans Stanley Road. This is all so close to me it will be very frustrating if they dont come my way!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2017, 06:53:20 PM »

There are plenty of Provisional advance authorisation (PAAs) coming through for VM's works. Until they are processed (by Kent within 1 month of receipt) they won't appear on Roadworks.org . Once processed, and if approved, then the works will appear on Roadworks.org but they can change in dates/details within reason if VM request such alterations and they are in turn approved by KCC Street Works.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 30

anything