Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Powerline Networking / Homeplugs / BPL Impacting VDSL2 Line  (Read 6719 times)

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: Powerline Networking / Homeplugs / BPL Impacting VDSL2 Line
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2017, 02:30:37 PM »

This has been worked around for now. Used the BPL to trigger the noise and triggered a resync intentionally. Modem and DSLAM duly changed bit allocations to heavily favour downstream band 1 and reduce reliance on band 2 and especially band 3.

There might still be the odd correctable FEC as 10 dB is a tad low an SNR even for QPSK but it should be better. Pity there's no capacity to use BPSK on those really poor tones, would've helped a little bit but probably not worth it in the grand scheme for just an additional 4kbps per tone.

The line will probably remain banded until it is retired for a VM Business service in the upcoming months.

Hope this is useful to someone in the future - subject changed for easier searching.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2017, 06:39:22 PM »

Hope this is useful to someone in the future - subject changed for easier searching.

The subject line has now been adjusted for all posts in this thread.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2017, 07:56:40 PM »

Thank you, Sir.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2017, 03:50:32 PM »

surprised you even was using one of these horrible devices ignition, would have thought you have known they not the best idea :)

For people who dont want to deal with ethernet cable routing indoors, the cables are covered in waterproof material so can be routed outside.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2017, 11:20:18 AM »

For people who dont want to deal with ethernet cable routing indoors, the cables are covered in waterproof material so can be routed outside.

Indeed.

I'm using one 20m section of flat ethernet cable to cover one tricky run. That flat cable can be routed out through the double-glazed windows, as there's just enough room to get past the sealing strips.

The downside is that it is indoor grade, so it'll be killed by UV sooner or later. There's a backup cable waiting to be run out when this one fails.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2017, 10:37:16 PM »

Banded to the same sync speed as my line. Hope you have more luck having the banding removed than I've had so far!

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2017, 10:04:44 PM »

Not attempted to get it removed: don't care, can't be bothered.

nivek1612

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2017, 01:22:34 PM »

Banded to the same sync speed as my line. Hope you have more luck having the banding removed than I've had so far!

I convinced my ISP to get a BT Engineer out. I provided evidence that I had found and repaired a faulty modem so they where happy to send them out for a DLM reset
Speeds and g.inp back to normal in 48hrs from reset.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 01:24:40 PM by kwillers »
Life is what happens while you're making plans

OPNsense  18.7.* on Qotom  i5-5250U with Zen FTTC 80/20

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2017, 09:53:37 PM »

surprised you even was using one of these horrible devices ignition, would have thought you have known they not the best idea :)

I'm quite aware of what they do and don't care. ;)

Other things in the property to do, like upgrade the kitchen, living room flooring and looking into an extension, before I start messing around with getting Ethernet cables up 2 floors.

Neither am I going to start drilling holes in walls and climbing ladders to do it externally.

Until the broadband coming into the property makes the PLN obsolete I'm fine with it. Latency is satisfactory and it's delivering an aggregate throughput of 400-500Mb/s :)

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2017, 01:37:33 PM »

This has now joined the list of things to do. A design has been done and the active equipment required drawn up as part of making the property gigabit Internet ready.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything