Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Short Contract FTTC ISPs?  (Read 3164 times)

jon_

Short Contract FTTC ISPs?
« on: April 10, 2017, 05:30:40 PM »

Hi

Other than Pulse8, are there any FTTC providers that do short contract packages?

I can't currently get FTTC at the moment, and am stuck with 3-4M ADSL2+. I've got a line of sight PtP wifi link to a location that can get 40/10 FTTC, so can get a second line put in there for my use. However BT are promising to do an FTTP rollout to my postcode within the next few months, and also a WISP is likely coming to the village in the next few months as well (to cover the bits of the village that BT can't be bothered to do!).

Upshot is - I don't really want to be tied into a 12 month FTTC contract if 'better' options are coming soon.

If Pulse8 are the only ones, any comments on their service? I've had a look through the threads, and see they suffered with some TTB network related issues, but how are they other than that? I'm looking for consistency of connection, lack of slowdowns at peak hours etc from a connection..

Thanks

Jon

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Short Contract FTTC ISPs?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 05:39:05 PM »

NowTV and Freeola did last time I checked.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

jon_

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 05:47:50 PM »

Thanks. It doesn't look like NowTV are available in our area, and Freeola FTTC contracts seem to be 12 months...

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 06:58:25 PM »

A&A do 6 month contracts and if you search the ISP listings at ISP Review there are several which appear to be as short as one month.

However, if its only for a few months, I personally wouldn't bother with the hassle of installing a 2nd line at a different location - have you considered temporarily a mobile provider/using a WiFi hotspot instead?

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 07:49:10 PM »

As the instigator of the longish Pulse8 thread, I guess that I am in a better position than most to comment on the issues and general health of Pulse8's TTB connections.

When I first joined Pulse8 I suffered relatively low single thread TBB speed test results, but the multithread speeds were always top notch.

It may have taken a couple of months to get there, but once Adam, the owner of Pulse8 was on the case things started to happen.

The bottom line is that whatever was causing the single thread issues has now been resolved.  I do see some blips in terms of single thread performance about half the time, but nothing like what I saw before.  A further speed test a couple of minutes later often results in both the single thread and multi thread speeds maxing out.

Pulse8 are a TTB reseller pure and simple, so only offer Billing and First Line Support services.  What they do, they do very well.

If you have any technical issues, then these get logged with TTB for resolution.

Adam cares about customer satisfaction very deeply.  He has to.  When he takes out a FTTC contract with TTB, he is taking out a twelve month contract, so he needs you to stay for 12 months if he is not to lose money on you as a customer.

I am still with them because of the work they put into resolving my issue and because I don't see anybody at the same price point who can deliver the same bangs for bucks.

jon_

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 08:13:05 PM »

Thanks for the feedback. Public wifi isn't an option round here, and 3G signal is patchy, and I think the data costs would cripple me.

The property that can get FTTC has several unused phone lines already so activation shouldn't be too problematic. They also have a pair of 'live' FTTC connections already for their holiday lets, so it may be that I can piggy back off one of those and not need to get a new connection at all, but I want to make sure I have all options covered...

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 09:19:53 PM »

AA do copper pairs for DSL only for cheap if you find you want to put in another copper line for FTTC. I'm surprised to hear about the six month contract but gt94sss2 is probably more up to date than I am. It would be worth talking to them about what you need.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 10:16:40 PM »

With A&A it's 6 months on BTw backhaul, but Talktalk backhaul insist on 12 months.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 10:05:06 AM »

Other than Pulse8, are there any FTTC providers that do short contract packages?

Zen might do a monthly rolling contract if you ask nicely. But they charge a setup fee that you cannot get out of.
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 02:05:16 PM »

Zen might do a monthly rolling contract if you ask nicely. But they charge a setup fee that you cannot get out of.

Doubtful.  When I enquired a few months back, they were very specific that both the phone and broadband had to be taken for a minimum of 12 months.  I was coming from a TTB service, so didn't have the option (which would have quite suited me) of leaving the phone line where it was.