Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Scripting and automation apps  (Read 9640 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Scripting and automation apps
« on: April 10, 2017, 03:59:33 PM »

I've just been playing around with the Workflow app for iOS. Pretty amazing. It's a scripting language with some powerful primitives in it for app automation plus a silly gui for building scripts. Basically you can create your own real apps with it, a sort of batch language with very high-level functions in it including controlling other apps.

The first thing I wrote in it fetches the config file out of my router (its in XML) via http and saves the xml in a zip file in a folder in the iCloud (or in Dropbox) with a suitable name. It also gets the config xml and puts it all into the clipboard. It can also fire up another app such as a text editor and push the xml text into that app. At some point, I'm going to have a go at doing the reverse, pushing a new config file into the router, which will be a bit more awkward, and really dangerous if I get it wrong.

I'd really like to be able to do the same kind of automated config upload with my WAPs too. I've no idea about how to do it with the Cisco devices, need to rtfm. Also switch config.

A second app that I'm just starting to explore is "Copied" which is a clipboard manager that can execute programmatic transformations on the clipboard and has a load of other clever novel tricks as well. I think it has a JavaScript engine in it, so finally actual programming is starting to creep into the world of the iOS user.

Take a look at the IFTTT app. Another app automation controller, very interesting. You might find it useful.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: Scripting and automation apps
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 03:14:32 PM »

I believe you can use IFTTT with the Amazon Echo or the recently released (in the U.K.) Google Home- i.e. Triggering the commands by voice..

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Scripting and automation apps
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 09:42:29 PM »

Does anyone here speak Python ?