Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Fibre running past house can I get a connection?  (Read 2107 times)

GrowlyBear

• Just arrived
Fibre running past house can I get a connection?
« on: April 09, 2017, 09:17:34 PM »

I live in a very rural area. There is fibre running on poles right beside my house - literally 6 feet away. The pole is about 20 feet away.

I have checked on the BT site - there are only 5 houses on our postcode. 3 of them say you can order fibre in 2 months. Our house is listed as an exchange only line with no plans!

Is it possible for anyone with fibre running right past to have Fibre to the Premises? I have seen in some areas a green box on the pole outside each house.

Sorry if this has been covered before.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
Re: Fibre running past house can I get a connection?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 05:38:08 AM »

I share your pain, there is a fibre line-running past my house also, I have crappy long-line ADSL and live in the country.

They actually dug up my drive to install it.

I asked the Openreach engineers who were wrecking my drive at the time if it was possible to pay for a connection (or whatever) to be added during installation to allow our little community access.

In our case, the reply I got was that the fibre was paid for by a private school a couple of miles further up the road and was not for public use :(

I wish you better luck than me!

Chunks

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 06:03:03 AM »

Is it possible for anyone with fibre running right past to have Fibre to the Premises? I have seen in some areas a green box on the pole outside each house.
The short answer is no, unfortunately not. If you are close to the properties on your postcode that are getting fibre then they may plan to cover your property also. The green box you mention is the Fibre DP (distribution point). You can only be served with FTTP from 1 of these boxes (overhead feed/telegraph poles) or from an underground chamber DP (underground feed/usually ducted). There's no way to divert the fibre to your home as it passes.

Do you know if the fibre passing your property is for FTTP or for an FTTC cabinet? You can't mix FTTP from fibre serving an FTTC cabinet, with the exception of FTTPod. FTTPod (FTTP on demand) is basically where you pay OpenReach thousands to run fibre to your property from the closest fibre aggregation node. This also comes with a 3 year contract at a much higher price than native FTTP. After the 3 years you can then order FTTP at the standard price.

It may be worth contacting your local BDUK scheme and asking if there are any plans for your property. If you don't know who that would be then if you tell us what part of the country you are in I'm sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 06:10:14 AM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 11:05:18 PM »

In our case, the reply I got was that the fibre was paid for by a private school a couple of miles further up the road and was not for public use :(

Chunks

Have you asked the school if it could be shared with the local houses ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

GrowlyBear

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 11:06:31 PM »

Thanks for the replies.

There are actually 2 overhead fibre cables on the poles running past our house. (Yellow stripe cable).

The cabinet is about 300 yards up from our house and feeds about 5 houses. These people can order FTTC now. About 1 mile up the road there are a few houses that can have FTTP.

I know we have to be connected to a DP - can they just put one anywhere along the route and would they do so for one house? I am pretty sure I have seen that setup in some areas - one per house.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 06:15:31 AM »

For a definitive answer a brief but to the point, e-mail message stating all the relevant facts sent to clive.selley@openreach.co.uk should get you an answer.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

GrowlyBear

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 10:16:57 AM »

Is the Chief Executive likely to reply or will it just be answered by a secretary?
I will try anything but perhaps someone lower down the chain would be better?

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 11:23:45 AM »

Is the Chief Executive likely to reply or will it just be answered by a secretary?
I will try anything but perhaps someone lower down the chain would be better?
He will just pass it down and you should get an answer asap, but give them as much info as you can.
I emailed him a few weeks ago  ;D     
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,19162.msg342281.html#msg342281
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

anything