Chat > Tech Chat

Cheap VPS

(1/3) > >>

Weaver:
I'm wondering about getting a really cheap virtual *nix or Windows server. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would need full admin access and be able to install software on it. Ideally it would be very close to A & A in terms of hops, I assume that would mean London or Maidenhead then. I don't suppose anyone does BSD?

AA do co-location but not virtual servers, but it's really expensive.

An aside: If you want to set up an ISP-side firewall or a VPN, then AA will host a Firebrick for you for a special price, but even though that is a lot cheaper, it's still expensive because you end up paying three times for your normal internet access traffic, once into the fb and then again when it comes back out and then a third time when it goes down your line(s). I don't know if they could be persuaded to do a cheaper deal for just handling your own internet access traffic.

NEXUS2345:
I would highly recommend OVH. Even though their servers for the most part are in France, the latency from my Zen connection never exceeds 20ms (ADSL2+). They have a range of prices and are all quite low, and they give you full root access. You can choose Windows Server or from a range of Linux distros, just be aware that Windows costs more (due to the license). They also do not charge for network ingress or egress.

If you would like to ping one of their servers in France, you can ping the address test.nexusgaming.org.uk as that is my own personal server.

roswellgrey:
Not sure about your definition of "really cheap" :)

I ask because there are some seriously cheap options available (https://www.lowendtalk.com/  is a good place to look for these ) , but assuming around £5 pm for a reasonable price/service point, some popular options are:
 - OVH
 - DigitalOcean
 - Linode
 - Ramnode
 - and Vultr seem to be becoming popular thesedays
and there are quite a few others .... these are just ones that spring to mind.

DigitalOcean, Ramnode and Vultr definately offer BSD variants. And most offer hourly billing - for literally a few pence you can create and test a server to see if it meets requirements, with no ongoing commitment if it doesn't.

I have personally used DigitalOcean for a few years now. They are easy to deal with, have had no billing issues, and have a nice range of locations to choose from (inc London) ....

Chrysalis:
linode have a uk location, and its where I host a uk vps.

highpriest:

--- Quote from: roswellgrey on April 09, 2017, 08:20:14 AM ---I have personally used DigitalOcean for a few years now. They are easy to deal with, have had no billing issues, and have a nice range of locations to choose from (inc London) ....

--- End quote ---

Me too, but I'm in the process of migrating to a $5 VPS from Linode as they are offering 1 GB RAM at that price point. Bit of a no brainer :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version