Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Noisy Line  (Read 16049 times)

mikeh

Noisy Line
« on: April 07, 2017, 08:50:14 PM »

I've been on fttc for a year now and it has been very stable. Prior to fttc I had an unreliable 2mb connection.

I have a quite noisy line, a background buzzing/hum type noise which I've always attributed to having fibre broadband and cordless phones so I've put up with it. This week the buzzing became louder along with loud crackling making phone calls unpleasant so I did Plusnets online test and it came back with this.
Fault location: CE
Diagnosis code: T020
Description: FAULT - Earth Contact

After a day the crackling ceased and I thought the fault was fixed but this morning I had a txt to say an engineer was calling. He plugged into the test socket and despite no crackling he said the line was too noisy, a noise I'd always thought of as normal as previously mentioned. He plugged his test equipment and there was one red cross which I think was something like D cap?.

He had to wait for a hoist as the poles are tall. One pole at the start of our lane half a mile away has some damaged outer shielding, been like that for some years and been tested before still showed no problems. The pole near our property seemed to indicate a fault and he said could be underground and would need to be dug to find the connections. He couldn't do anymore, this was a job for a digging engineer.

An hour later I got more txts to say the engineer was working on the job. I couldn't see him at the pole which the first OR man told me wanted checking but I did see him at the other pole. I went to see him and he knew about the pole but was checking the damaged cable. He came to the pole near us and I left him, but he didn't do any digging and went back to first pole. About an hour later he had gone, he had put a large joint on the pole where the damaged cable had been.

The buzzing noise is still there. I will see if Plusnet close the fault as fixed. Am I being too premature? Will I see someone return to check the underground connections on the pole near us?

Incidentally I have G INP enabled at 52 is this because of the line noise?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Noisy Line
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 09:13:07 PM »

You should plug an ordinary phone into the test socket and listen for the buzzing noise. If you can hear anything at all then report that as a fault because the line is definitely broken in that case and it will be affecting your speed.

See
    http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 09:16:14 PM by Weaver »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 09:32:55 PM »

Specifically you should report it as a telephony fault, one that is audibly noisy, to whoever is your telephony service provider.

Do not mention the broadband service. It is liable to cause confusion and, in the worst case, fail to get the underlying fault fixed.

The fault is with the metallic pathway of the (underlying) PSTN, over which the xDSL (G.993.2, in your case) service operates.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 10:53:02 PM »

Do a QLT dial 17070 / 2 and listen, what I did with my noisy line was to record on my mobile phone the noise and play it back when reporting it as a phone fault.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 11:28:02 PM »

Burakkucat makes a very important point. Don't mention the internet or 'broadband'. They will have to fix it if they are told there is something with the POTS side of things. Always a good strategy.

mikeh

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 08:17:05 AM »

I'm happy with the fibre service which for 1.8km from the cab I achieve 18mb with a Billion 8800nl although the upload is only 0.9mb. My prime concern is the phone not the broadband.

I have a corded phone and the noise is lower but still there. I'm going to check a friends house as they have the same phone and will take the corded one with me also to try. Their line quality is excellent so I should be able compare the two.

I was impressed with the speed of the action by OR but I am dissapointed that the second engineer didn't investigate the pole where the first engineer said he found a fault.

mikeh

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 04:41:56 PM »

I've checked a couple of friends phones today and couldn't believe how quiet they were. I've had this continuous buzzing noise for a long time and always believed it to be normal, how wrong I was. I'm definitely going to pursue a fix on this. I await Plusnets reply tomorrow on the fault ticket.   

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 06:52:44 PM »

I've had this continuous buzzing noise for a long time and always believed it to be normal, . . .

It reads as if there is still an "earth contact fault" on your circuit. Does the buzzing sound like AC mains hum?

mikeh

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 09:20:06 PM »

Yes Burakkucat it could be described as a hum. I used the term buzzing meaning an annoying sounding hum. On one of the engineers tools the short warning light was flashing but not all the time. When the crackling was happening the humming noise was very bad. I've added some more comments to the Plusnet fault page to let them know the problem is not fixed.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 11:45:36 PM »

It will all be a lot better when it isn't broken any more.

mikeh

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 05:47:41 PM »

I had an update from Plusnet today and was informed that work was in progress to organize a dig. This could take 5 days to process and further updates are expected after next weekend. So I believe the second engineer was tasked with fixing the damaged cable on the end of lane pole, not the digging work.

So there is positive progress and I look forward to this problem being hopefully resolved. Phone faults do seem to be a priority fix.

I will let you know how things go. Thanks for your help.

mikeh

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 10:54:29 AM »

I have had a response from Plusnet and OR are saying that the line is now fixed. Plusnet said they have rechecked and can find no fault now and await my reply.

We have had confirmation from our suppliers that your phone fault should now be fixed. We have checked the line and everything appears to be in order but we are not able to account for every eventuality.

If your service is still not working please get back in touch and we will be happy to investigate further for you.

*INTERNAL*
Main Fault Location: LN (Fault located in local network)
Fault Code: NSY (Noisy)
Clear Code: 51.3
Clear Message: Remote Clear

The noise is not as loud, maybe because it has been very dry lately? but there is still a continuous humming  I know no digging has been done at the drop pole where  the first engineer found some problem. I've replied that the fault is not fixed as there is still a continuous noise on the line.

The service is working but with a background noise. Any advice please.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 04:54:30 PM »

The noise is not as loud, maybe because it has been very dry lately? but there is still a continuous humming  I know no digging has been done at the drop pole where  the first engineer found some problem. I've replied that the fault is not fixed as there is still a continuous noise on the line.

The service is working but with a background noise. Any advice please.

Keep precise records and re-apply pressure onto Plusnet. Stress that it is audible noise as a result of a fault in the PSTN.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 04:39:32 PM »

I agree, pressure on the ISP and hope you get a decent OR engineer out.   I've had two noisy line issues that were difficult to resolve because the line tests all passed, in that case you're really reliant on the OR engineer agreeing that the noise in itself indicates a problem.

mikeh

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 05:01:23 PM »

I have reported to Plusnet that the humming noise is still present on the line and the usual test socket checks made no difference. Plusnets checks are showing no fault which maybe because the noise is not as loud as it was two weeks ago. Friends have also said the noise at their end has gone.

The humming does vary in noise levels at the moment but it is continuous. This is a half a mile single rural line down my lane with the drop pole near the house. The line goes underground to the pole at the start of the lane.

It would help if OR came back to the property to actually check what they say is fixed!

aesmith I have read your posts and knew this could be a struggle. Over the past 10 years I've had two line swaps from the exchange to cabinet but there are no other lines to my property.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

anything