Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: My Fault- Update  (Read 19603 times)

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
My Fault- Update
« on: April 06, 2017, 06:42:46 PM »

Some of you may have read in another thread that I am only sync'ing at 45 and I put my number in BT Retail site and they guarantee me a minimum of 60.

I also would like my underground feed (Single pair DW3, 30 metres) replaced with a current spec twisted pair.

Openreach has been today and found that I am losing 13mbps on this underground feed as he tested sync at the jointing post and it was 53mbps, 40mbps at the test socket in my house.

He is coming back tomorrow with his mate and some cable and they are going to try to replace it but while testing in an underground box a few feet away from my property and sync here was 67mbps. This means also some street underground wiring will need to be replaced.

He also mentioned he doesn't know if this will cost me anything and needs to speak to his manager, anyone in Openreach confirm that everything after the master socket is at Openreach cost?

Just copied from Thinkbroadband forums as may be other people following this.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: My Fault- Update
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 06:46:21 PM »

Methinks you're getting the 'before' and 'after' confused ??  ;)

The circuit originates from the Exchange, therefore anything 'after' the NTE is in your premises and is your responsibility. Anything before the NTE you are covered for by your rental costs for fair wear & tear ..... if you've put an axe through the cable (a once often occurrence around my area, not so much these days  ??? ), then of course charges will be incurred.

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 07:37:31 PM »

Yes you are correct so the Mk4 master socket he fitted today will be billed to me? He also reconnected extensions but no other wiring. My ISP says what you said too. There is no damage to the line just an under spec couple of wires in the street and under my drive. If they could get me up to 67 or thereabouts as measured in the street box just before my house that would be great.
Tim

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 07:43:10 PM »

The installing of the MK4 should be gratis, as it is bringing your circuit (at that particular point) up to best spec.

Regarding the rest of the work, I couldn't comment as I don't know the full circumstances ??  :)

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 11:06:57 PM »

How long does it take for engineer's notes to get to the ISP?
Tim

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 01:06:43 AM »

Not long, in my experience. A lot less than 24 hours.

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 03:18:10 PM »

Engineers have been re-tested sync and have arranged for my drive to be dug up for new telephone cable
Tim

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 09:43:31 PM »

OR contractors will come in with a concrete saw to make 2 parallel cuts on the route the UG takes on driveway then they dig it away to expose old duct, and OR should have had line feed disconnected at both ends then remove the old duct and existing feed.

New duct is then placed with a pull through cord exposed and cavity is then filled in, next the new UG feed is pulled through the duct using the cord and the UG feed is then terminated by OR at both ends

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 10:44:47 PM »

Was wondering how they would do it. Only question left is when. Job number was allocated today.
Tim

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 11:37:14 PM »

Was wondering how they would do it. Only question left is when. Job number was allocated today.

Well Openreach will need to contact the contractor and the contractor will then give them a date and time slot for your driveway Job as both party's will need to be involved at the same time.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 12:02:48 AM by NewtronStar »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 08:31:09 AM »

Well Openreach will need to contact the contractor and the contractor will then give them a date and time slot for your driveway Job as both party's will need to be involved at the same time.

NB: It is very, very rare we are in attendance at the same time.

The usual course this would take is ... contractors turn up and do the job at hand, they then inform their contract management team their remit has been completed.
They in turn will then inform OR, who will resurrect the original fault at put it back in the workstacks for a suitably qualified engineer to pick it up and  carry out our bit.  :)

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 12:30:38 PM »

If the contractor's job is to dig, replace duct, and fill in, then won't the copper end up cut in some way as a consequence?

I can't think of a way they can put new ducting in place without disconnecting the copper at some point.

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 04:09:46 PM »

That is the way the engineer explained it to me but he said contractors will dig, he would come back and lay cable then they would come back and re-instate. If it happens like this I will be surprised.

Currently the cable is in white conduit underground so I am not sure if they will dig it up or just duct on top of it.
Tim

anfield_92

• Just arrived
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 09:39:19 PM »

Most of the time the new duct is laid without touching the original feed, so once the contractors have laid the duct we will return, usually same or next day, to disconnect the old feed, pull a cable through the new duct and then connect it at both ends.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 10:03:13 PM »

If the contractor's job is to dig, replace duct, and fill in, then won't the copper end up cut in some way as a consequence?

I can't think of a way they can put new ducting in place without disconnecting the copper at some point.

The original feed is usually 'Direct In Ground' (DIG) cable. As such, this very same cable will be left intact whilst the remedial duct work is taking place, and subsequently, after it has been completed.

The new duct will be placed form point A to point B and will have a draw-rope pulled through its length by the Contactors ..... we then attach a new cable to the draw-rope, and terminate at both ends. Ergo, new connection for EU and old cable left in the ground and totally redundant.  :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8