Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Leaving FTTC or is there an issue?  (Read 5242 times)

divybc

Re: Leaving FTTC or is there an issue?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2017, 11:14:57 PM »

Good lord, why did I like Sky and FTTC  :lol: :lol:

Just have a look here if you're interested in my Virgin story.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Slow-single-thread-Causing-issues-with-streaming-and-99-of/td-p/3390880

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2017, 03:20:58 PM »

u should have not cancelled sky before ordering VM now u got a poor performing VM could move back to fttc but i guess without such a high fault threshold

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

arronlowley

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 06:49:54 PM »

i hope you havent gone to virgin media, i was paying £60 a month for 300/20 for my speed to drop to 100-120 in the evening, yes a whole 180-200Mbps loss.

divybc

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2017, 03:17:55 PM »

I cancelled them, they said there was a problem with the head end and tried to keep me for a penny a month lol!

Back with Sky on 62/20, big loss from my 80, but what can you do eh?

Not sure if there is much room for improvement here or what caused it, I guess crosstalk?

Anyways, better than 8Mbps on VM haha.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 03:22:12 PM by divybc »

arronlowley

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2017, 05:28:34 PM »

your line attenuation indicates you should get 80 or very close to it, i used to get 80/20 with an attenuation of 16dB, i now get 71/20 due to crosstalk.

its possible you have crosstalk but the only real way to tell is by getting an unlocked modem and putting the custom firmware on to see your line stats and your max attainable.

divybc

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2017, 05:34:30 PM »

Seems I'm on the very low end of a "Clean line". It never used to give them numbers, it used to be low up at 74 instead of 61.6. I guess they changed that based on the cabinet fulling up?

Max attainable on the engineers jdsu was 69000 so yano definitely crosstalk which is crap.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 05:43:33 PM by divybc »

arronlowley

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2017, 05:50:02 PM »

my max attainable when i moved in here was very low, and i knew it wasnt right, the engineer changed my port in the cab and i went from 54Mbps to 80Mbps.

so its not always crosstalk that is the factor, unless hes verified that or tried to change you to another port.

besides that, the checker is supposed to update according to your max attainable.

the checker once said 80 for me like yours and a min of 64 on clean line, it now says a max of 76 and a low of 55 on a clean line, im connected at 71/20.

divybc

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2017, 05:57:21 PM »

Fair enough and understandable, but the engineer really didn't want to help unfortunately. He was offered a drink and biscuits as well lol, not that it means much, but I was nice with him.

He said that his fibre does it as well and it's normal and there is no fault. I explained to him that it's not normal and ask for him to change the fibre port my line is connected to, and he said there simply is no need.

Can't be bothered with the fuss now, maybe one day I'll see my speed some back up.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2017, 08:03:15 PM »

Fair enough and understandable, but the engineer really didn't want to help unfortunately. He was offered a drink and biscuits as well lol, not that it means much, but I was nice with him.

He said that his fibre does it as well and it's normal and there is no fault. I explained to him that it's not normal and ask for him to change the fibre port my line is connected to, and he said there simply is no need.

Can't be bothered with the fuss now, maybe one day I'll see my speed some back up.

We can't 'Just change a fibre port', as and when we like. There is a procedure we have to follow with another department who have the final say-so on whether a new port should be tried .......... with your stats, there isn't a hope in hell of getting a new port.  :)

divybc

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2017, 09:55:15 PM »

Oh for sure not disputing the fact that there is procedure, just I lost 18 megabits and he told me it's normal was kinda annoying. He could have acknowledged there was something that caused in instead of speaking to me like I'm dumb saying "that's just what fibre does"

You know as I said, waking up one morning to a re sync and a loss that high kinda sucks, but I already said what can I do? Nothing would be the answer.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2017, 12:22:36 AM »

my max attainable when i moved in here was very low, and i knew it wasnt right, the engineer changed my port in the cab and i went from 54Mbps to 80Mbps.

so its not always crosstalk that is the factor, unless hes verified that or tried to change you to another port.

besides that, the checker is supposed to update according to your max attainable.

the checker once said 80 for me like yours and a min of 64 on clean line, it now says a max of 76 and a low of 55 on a clean line, im connected at 71/20.

that to me suggests crosstalk in the tie pair.

all ports are equal, they wont perform with such wide variations.

divybc

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2017, 02:32:33 PM »

Yesterday:

Today:

Noise Margin increased and gained more speed :). Happy days.

Pages: 1 [2]