Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wiring in a phone extension to connect the HG612 modem  (Read 8090 times)

jasjeet

Wiring in a phone extension to connect the HG612 modem
« on: April 02, 2017, 08:56:01 PM »

Im thinking of relocating my modem and router in to a central location in the house, but will need to extend the master socket to do this.

I want the least mess, no micro filters etc.

So ive figured out i can use CW1308 cable to extend the A/B terminals on the BT SSFP MK3 master socket.

On the extension side, what socket should i use? Ideally i just want an RJ11 filtered socket that i can hook up the CW1308 incoming pair.

Connection is Sky Fibre 40mb.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Wiring in a phone extension to connect the HG612 modem
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 10:12:07 PM »

So ive figured out i can use CW1308 cable to extend the A/B terminals on the BT SSFP MK3 master socket.

CW1308 or Cat5e cable, the choice is yours. You will connect the cable to the two IDCs inside the front of the SSFP.

On the extension side, what socket should i use? Ideally i just want an RJ11 filtered socket that i can hook up the CW1308 incoming pair.

You should now get into the habit of calling it a data socket and not an extension socket.  ;)

Your shopping list should be --
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

jasjeet

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 08:06:37 AM »

Thanks! Exactly what I'm looking for. Will this not need a filter?

My CW1308 length will be around 6-7m. I'm also buying 100m of cat6, should I just use cat6 rather than buy a seperate roll of cw1308?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 08:12:39 AM by jasjeet »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 08:13:03 AM »

You can use Cat6, but it's much thicker and stiffer than CW1308, and consequently more difficult to install neatly.
  Eric

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 08:59:04 AM »

Thanks! Exactly what I'm looking for. Will this not need a filter?

No, you will not be using the socket for telephony, only data.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 03:12:23 PM »

I take it that it isn't an option to leave your modem or router where it is and run Ethernet into the centre if the house instead, to an access point? You would be keeping your dsl signal healthier that way, but not an issue if the signal is very strong and the cable run very interference-free. Or split into a modem plus a router, and leave the modem where it is, close to the master socket? You've probably ruled that out as running Ethernet cable is too much of a pain? Or else could use a wireless Lan link to another access point in the centre of the house.

I have a modem and a (wireful-only) router very very near to the master socket (modem to wallsocket is 0.25m = obsessed) and run a long Ethernet cable to a WAP in the centre of the house now, for much improved wireless.

It's just that if you can run CW1308, then you could possibly run ethernet. Cat6 can be awkward to run as you have to be so extremely careful with the bends, it's sooo stiff and you'll knacker it if you try too hard. I use the 'minimum radius of a CD' as a general guide. I am running cat7 all over the place now in case I can ever get a cheap 10G switch going (for internal LAN traffic, obviously).

jasjeet

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 09:05:46 PM »

I take it that it isn't an option to leave your modem or router where it is and run Ethernet into the centre if the house instead, to an access point? You would be keeping your dsl signal healthier that way, but not an issue if the signal is very strong and the cable run very interference-free. Or split into a modem plus a router, and leave the modem where it is, close to the master socket? You've probably ruled that out as running Ethernet cable is too much of a pain? Or else could use a wireless Lan link to another access point in the centre of the house.

I have a modem and a (wireful-only) router very very near to the master socket (modem to wallsocket is 0.25m = obsessed) and run a long Ethernet cable to a WAP in the centre of the house now, for much improved wireless.

It's just that if you can run CW1308, then you could possibly run ethernet. Cat6 can be awkward to run as you have to be so extremely careful with the bends, it's sooo stiff and you'll knacker it if you try too hard. I use the 'minimum radius of a CD' as a general guide. I am running cat7 all over the place now in case I can ever get a cheap 10G switch going (for internal LAN traffic, obviously).

The problem with leaving the modem is I need a power socket and I don't have one nearby. Where I plan to move it I'll have everything hidden behind a fridge :)

I've laid cat6 without much care so I'm surprised you've been so careful. Will the signal loss be less on cat6 vs cw1308?

My connection isn't the best, 32mb sync banded.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 10:53:43 PM »

No, my point is that the signal loss will be zero, because the modem remains near the master socket. Then there is a run of Ethernet from the modem or router that goes to a switch or wireless access point which is located somewhere convenient for you. There will be no 'signal' on this run because the DSL signal stops at the modem or modem-router. Make sense?

Cat 6 UTP is a lot easier to run than cat6a / cat7 s/ftp with a full foil shield and individual shields round each pair which is incredibly stiff and thick and trying to force it will even break the shield. With utp it's more likely in my experience that kinking it will compromise the twist so creating a slight noise ingress vulnerability.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 11:35:10 PM »

The problem with leaving the modem is I need a power socket and I don't have one nearby. Where I plan to move it I'll have everything hidden behind a fridge :)

Hmm . . . Behind a fridge. I wonder if that is going to be a rather noisy environment for xDSL equipment. What about switch-on current surges, etc, caused by the compressor's motor?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

jasjeet

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 01:35:21 AM »

Hmm . . . Behind a fridge. I wonder if that is going to be a rather noisy environment for xDSL equipment. What about switch-on current surges, etc, caused by the compressor's motor?

Potentially yes, difficult to test.
Maybe in that case I'll run cat6. Then if the modem syncs worse I can move the modem back and hook up the cat6 to the router.
The terminations would be behind the fridge and the equipment sitting on top of the fridge.
I would have thought the fridge is more of a faraday cage being a metal box pretty much.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 04:32:43 AM »

It is bound to be worse, running DSL signal over an extra length inside an electrical noisy environment such as a house, the question is, just by how much? Could be nearly zero. If it were me, I wouldn't take the chance, and always keep the modem right at the master socket. I am so obsessed - what with my very weak signal voltage and very clean outside noise environment - that I have even ensured that there is no signal run from the outside world to the master socket inside the house, that is, the line comes straight in by a window (along a radius towards the house) and immediately into an NTE5. From there there is 0.25m or 0.5m of cw1308 cable or shielded-but-not-grounded AdslNation/Tandy cable into the modem and then the story is over. Completely. I said it was obsessive. :-)

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 01:45:57 PM »

For DSL frequencies is there really a benefit in Cat 6 or better rather than Cat 5?   Cat 6 etc is significantly more demanding in installation terms such as minimum bend radius and susceptibility to kinking (don't use tie wraps for example).

jasjeet

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 05:50:15 PM »

I've given up with DLM, I'm banded and my connection has headroom, so I suspect I will lose no speed.
I have CAT5 spare, so I'll use that to wire the phone extension.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 09:03:29 PM »

Well, I tried.

If I can't persuade you to do the right thing -

Don't you need an RJ-11 plug at the modem end? In which case you need a suitable long Tandy RJ11-RJ11 or runitdirect RJ45-RJ11 cable so the plugs will fit properly.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 09:07:09 PM by Weaver »

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2017, 09:44:16 PM »

The terminations would be behind the fridge and the equipment sitting on top of the fridge.
I would have thought the fridge is more of a faraday cage being a metal box pretty much.
You are going to put your modem in a bad place, as well as radiated noise you get high level of electrical noise cumming through the mains to your modem.
What about leaving the modem where it is and put an 13 amp mains socket there instead of putting the modem next to a noise source eg. the fridge !.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.
Pages: [1] 2

anything