Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ZyXEL VMG1312-B10D from Zen  (Read 3666 times)

batfastad

• Just arrived
ZyXEL VMG1312-B10D from Zen
« on: April 02, 2017, 03:49:19 PM »

Hi everyone

Just signed up to Zen (ADSL - FTTC waiting list in our area) after a house move and many years of being with Xilo. I was an exile from Be, Xilo carried on using O2 wholesale for a while after the Sky buy-out.

I have been using the old Thomson Speedtouch TG585v5 CLI for many many years after the usual story - much swearing at the terrible web UI.
Here I am again, dealing with another ISP's locked down router looking for some CLI advice.

I was thinking of just triggering the thing into Bridge mode and hooking it straight up to my Edgerouter. However from the Zen guide to Bridge mode it will present the WAN connection on all 4 ethernet ports.

This isn't really what I'm looking for. I'd like to try and get a similar setup to my Speedtouch...
- Bridge mode on one ethernet port
- DHCP client on another ethernet port, so I can hook it into my network and read ADSL stats/SNMP/syslog

At the moment I'm only able to access the CLI over telnet (!) using the admin user, which doesn't appear to have much in the way of privileges.
I don't know the passwords for root/supervisor users - though I've not had time to have too much of a bash and gaining access..

I've had a scout around the CLI (thanks to AAISP usefully posting the CLI guide for the B10A) and it looks like everything I need is possible through the CLI... if I was only able to access a decent level of permissions.

Anyone got any info on how to get more privileges to the CLI on this device?

Anyone know if it's possible to do this through the web GUI?

EDIT: Just seen in the web UI there is an option for "con-current WAN"... is that close to what I'm looking for?

Cheers, B

highpriest

• Reg Member
Re: ZyXEL VMG1312-B10D from Zen
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 12:27:31 AM »

This is for a different model (the 8324, which I use) but the procedure could be similar:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/zyxel_VMG8324-B10A_bridge.htm

FWIW, I use an EdgeRouter as well (the PoE) with an 8324 in bridge mode and I use a single port on the modem for both functions. You have to set up a masquerade NAT rule on your WAN interface (the parent interface for PPPoE on the EdgeRouter) so your internal network can talk to the modem but it's fairly trivial to achieve. I also use the EdgeRouter as an NTP server for the ZyXEL.

Code: [Select]
    nat {
        rule 5010 {
            outbound-interface pppoe0
            type masquerade
        }
        rule 5011 {
            description VDSL_Modem
            destination {
                address 192.168.2.0/24
            }
            log disable
            outbound-interface eth1
            protocol all
            type masquerade
        }
    }

HTH.
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

batfastad

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 09:06:16 AM »

Thanks for the info - I'm glad there's an option.

In your example then is the 192.168.2.0/24 network one that you changed the Zyxel LAN to before applying bridge mode?
I've not looked at the Edgerouter yet but I've got the ER-X-SFP with 5 ethernet sockets and an SFP, so I don't actually mind using two interfaces for the time being as everything else is hooked up to a separate switch. I wanted to get my workflow for the Zyxel sorted and then I'll start configuration for the ER.

Having done bridge mode for so long with the Speedtouch, triggering bridge mode from the web UI causes me to lose all LAN connectivity to the web/telnet interfaces so I was unable to change any other settings. I am assuming that this will be the case with the Zyxel too.

Per the guide for the VMG834, once it's in bridge mode, how do I then do:
- 5. Getting line stats from the Modem when in Bridged Mode
- Configure VMG8324 access from the LAN to get line stats
... if I don't have access to the LAN interface?

Or is bridge mode not required if I use separate interface groups?
Here's an image of what I see under interface groups once I've created a "bridge" group... https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Jjnxwtx3O4bGItMXVaUEJNa0k/view?usp=sharing
Slightly different to http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/zyxel_VMG8324-B10A_bridge.htm

Cheers, B

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 06:21:52 PM »

In your example then is the 192.168.2.0/24 network one that you changed the Zyxel LAN to before applying bridge mode?

That's right. 192.168.2.0/24 is the EdgeRouter <-> Zyxel network. 192.168.1.0/24 is my home LAN.

I've not looked at the Edgerouter yet but I've got the ER-X-SFP with 5 ethernet sockets and an SFP, so I don't actually mind using two interfaces for the time being as everything else is hooked up to a separate switch. I wanted to get my workflow for the Zyxel sorted and then I'll start configuration for the ER.

They are very similar devices, the ER-X SFP and the ER PoE. Yes, of course you can use two interfaces but I wanted to reduce clutter :) And you don't really gain anything by using a separate interface for management and stat collection.

Having done bridge mode for so long with the Speedtouch, triggering bridge mode from the web UI causes me to lose all LAN connectivity to the web/telnet interfaces so I was unable to change any other settings. I am assuming that this will be the case with the Zyxel too.

Sort of. With its default interface grouping (all LAN interfaces in a single group), in bridge mode, you can connect to the router on any of the ports as long as you are in the same subnet. Which is why I have to masquerade behind the WAN interface (eth1 in my case) on my ER PoE.

Per the guide for the VMG834, once it's in bridge mode, how do I then do:
- 5. Getting line stats from the Modem when in Bridged Mode
- Configure VMG8324 access from the LAN to get line stats
... if I don't have access to the LAN interface?

This is what my configuration allows you to do. The other option is to follow the guide and adapt it to the 1312 and use two separate cables; one for the bridged connection to the VDSL modem and another to the 'default' interface group (any port in that group) for management purposes.

Or is bridge mode not required if I use separate interface groups?
Here's an image of what I see under interface groups once I've created a "bridge" group... https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Jjnxwtx3O4bGItMXVaUEJNa0k/view?usp=sharing
Slightly different to http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/zyxel_VMG8324-B10A_bridge.htm

You need bridge mode if you want to use the device as a pure modem (no routing, no firewalling, no wifi and so on). How you then configure your interfaces to manage the device is up to you.

But you are right, that screen does look different from the 8324. When you add a new interface group, do you not see the same options as shown in the guide?
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

batfastad

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 10:45:48 PM »

Apologies for the delay in getting back.
Basically, I'm up and running with the Zyxel in bridge mode and Edgerouter providing routing, PPPoE, DHCP, DNS etc :)

As you said, I still have full access to all functions of the Zyxel from an interface on the same subnet. I was expecting the Zyxel DHCP server and wireless radios to be disabled on the switch to bridge mode but all still active.

Thanks for the incredibly helpful info!

Cheers, B

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 09:59:57 AM »

Good stuff, glad you got it working properly :)

anything