Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Infinity 2, No errors found by engineer but only getting 54 download?  (Read 6999 times)

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
Re: Infinity 2, No errors found by engineer but only getting 54 download?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2017, 08:01:28 PM »

The cable is black and circular that leaves the house externally and goes underground . There are 6 matching terrace houses in this block and an old house next to them with a telegraph pole in its garden  serving wires to the other old properties on the street. I wonder if we route under the ground to this pole

The tests the engineer and I did was from the old master test socket and the new one appears identical in results except there is an inbuilt filter

Sounds different to mine, mine is grey figure 8 cable with 2 wires, I need a black one with twisted pair.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

alexxx

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2017, 08:14:38 PM »

Your block of premises are fed from a cat-iron carriageway joint box, that's actually in the footpath.  :)

Is that a good or bad thing :D?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2017, 08:52:19 PM »

It's a good thing for you alexxxx.

alexxx

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2017, 10:29:50 PM »

It's a good thing for you alexxxx.

Thanks for your help and finding that out Black Sheep. Based on what you know about my line now do you have any recommendations on how I should proceed with BT? is it worth calling out a second engineer for another opinion or escalating the issue in another way?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2017, 11:08:18 PM »

I would say it's certainly worth taking up with your ISP again, especially as the lowest speed estimate given (Impacted) is 67Meg. You are obviously getting less than that.  :)

alexxx

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2017, 10:08:58 AM »

Ok so apparently a "Bt Wholesale Engineer" is coming out tomorrow to remove a capping rather than the "BT Openreach Engineer" does that sound legit? Do wholesale techs have more powers?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2017, 10:26:25 AM »

Ok so apparently a "Bt Wholesale Engineer" is coming out tomorrow to remove a capping rather than the "BT Openreach Engineer" does that sound legit? Do wholesale techs have more powers?

They do in as much as they can remotely isolate a BB circuit to test whether a PPP Session fault is due to Openreach's network, or the ISP ?? But in your instance, I would suggest it's actually an Openreach engineer that will be despatched ??

Maybe it was just a simple case of someone getting confused ?? Anyhows, it matters not I suppose so long as you get your reset done.  :)

alexxx

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2017, 10:41:48 AM »

The ISP is BT in this case - the livechat person was sure that it was going to be a wholesale engineer rather than the same engineer type they sent last time. The tech on friday did say he couldn't see any kind of cap or porting issues though... I'm not holding out for much but we'll see!

I just tested the line this morning with and without the faceplate on the new mk4 filtered socket and it seems about 1-2mb faster without the faceplate on and using an adsl filter I had lying around.

If I get the new tech to disconnect the wiring from the master socket to the other sockets in the house would it be expected to get the same speed as the test socket? I dont use the extensions at all so will probably end up dragging cat6 through them in the future.

Thanks! I'll report back tomorrow to try and conclude a happy story! :)

alexxx

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2017, 05:21:38 PM »

Not the outcome I was looking for...

So the second tech just came - checked the line my end - asked a lot of questions about the situation ect... said he can't do anything so flagged it as some kind of fault on the line for the isp to investigate further.

Just came back to the pc to do a speed test... and now the router has sync'd at 43mb down and a worse upload rate at 16.... so it's got even worse!

What's the deal now?!

alexxx

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2017, 05:24:21 PM »

I've attached 3 pictures from the help desk print out.. looks like the up noise has gone from 3 to 6?

Test socket in use in new mk4 master socket:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eocvaenzjblioju/test%20socket.png?dl=0

Using mk4 faceplate filter:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cdzizp36n7lw7r8/using%20mk4%20faceplate%20filter.png?dl=0

New connection after 2nd bt engineer visit (see lower sync speeds and higher noise?):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/99p4udg265ka220/after%20second%20engineer%20visit.png?dl=0

alexxx

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2017, 05:36:42 PM »

Just tried to test if the speed was an issue with the socket by using the test socket and now connected at 14down 5up... ****! haha teach me to fiddle!

Is this DLM monitoring the line and thinking it's bad due to so many disconnections in a short space of time? They are trigger happy aren't they!

The line att has gone through the roof too!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/98sohjf4irh79ui/after%20second%20engineer%20visit%202.png?dl=0

I did ask him to disconnect the home extension for the phone as I don't use them but I'm not sure if thats related? He just un did the 2 cables from the front faceplate that disconnects I believe?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 05:41:52 PM by alexxx »

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2017, 06:46:17 PM »

Looks like you have a dodgy connection somewhere for the attenuation to change like that, has the BT guy fiddled with the master socket, could be a loose wire!

alexxx

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2017, 06:56:54 PM »

the line has gone back to the 43mb down which is 17mb worse off than before the last bt engineer.

All he did on the master socket was disconnect the internal wiring I believe - he didnt take the full socket off so dont think he can have affected anything else

BT are single handedly the worse support I've ever dealt with on the phone and chat they just want to pass you onto nothing.. pff wishing I hadn't bothered now!

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2017, 06:59:07 PM »

I would strongly advise you don't reconnect the line again. Anytime you do need to resync, for example connecting to the test socket, you should leave a 30 minute gap between the disconnection and reconnection.

DLM has no idea you're playing with things and simply counts the number of retrains. If you leave the line down for 30 mins then it does not get counted.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2017, 08:03:51 PM »

. . . looks like the up noise has gone from 3 to 6?

The item reported on line number eight, in all of those images, is the Signal to Noise Ratio Margin. When abbreviated = SNRM.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything