Computers & Hardware > Networking

Ubiquiti WAPs and iOS (contd)

(1/4) > >>

Weaver:
RevK is continuing his battle to debug problems with Apple iOS boxes on Ubiquiti WLANs. It seems to depend on a heap of things all being true:

http://www.revk.uk/2017/03/where-are-we-with-unifi-and-iphone.html#comment-form

burakkucat:
If I have read that correctly he is now pondering the possibility that it is his code in his Firebrick devices that may be at the root of the problem.  ::)

Time will tell.  :-\

Weaver:
I thought I saw a mention of a non-Firebrick case in the comments. I can't see how a router could make an iOS box fail like that, well I ought to know more about it, it could be that the iOS device tries to reacquire an IPv4 address when it does a BSS handover.

I'm more inclined to think that something as nasty as that would be a tread on the wrong floorboard kind of bug, that you need say a Firebrick plus x plus y etc to be the correct stimulus to make something else fail. Instinct would point the finger at Apple. But also because, looking at it from another angle, an argument could be made that Apple have screwed up regardless of the details, in that there is no earthly reason for them to end up with an IPv4 link-local address (169.254.x.x).

I would definitely think that a Firebrick has to be blameless because it knows nothing about wireless LANs and any plain networking protocol bug - perhaps relating to DHCP - would have been spotted in traffic captures or logs by now.

Just a load of guesswork from me based on far too many months of my life wasted, but zero knowledge of this situation.

currytop:
That makes a more interesting read in that he gives more information. I don't have that issue but then I did turn off IPv6 support a couple of months ago because I didn't trust my IPv6 firewall. Only the IP phones seemed to prefer IPv6. But again I don't remember having an issue before that. Also all the networking kit is now Ubiquiti - edgerouter, non-Unifi POE edgeswitch, and Unifi APs. Oh, apart from a dumb gigabit switch.

As a matter of interest I don't use DHCP on the edgerouter but dnsmasq instead which is also built-in. It finally gives me seamless name resolution on dynamically allocated addresses for the internal network without having to configure static addresses with a DNS server, or having to couple DHCP & DNS servers. Dnsmasq also provides IPv6 RA/SLAAC when desired. In the latter case however you do need to edit the configuration tree but can still do so from the web GUI.

In the RevK's case I wonder what the result would be turning off Firebrick DHCP & RA and temporarily placing another device to perform that function. I don't envy him the task of analysing all the traffic captures.

Weaver:
Currytop, just for clarification- as far as I am aware, Firebricks can only do DHCPv4 not DHCPv6 so without a separate server RevK will presumably not be using DHCPv6.

I would like to sort out internal DNS for IPv6 assignments but I don't see how I can do it because, in the context of IPv6, all the hosts I happen to have do their own random thing regarding IPv6 address allocation and are not managed by a DHCPv6 server. Would your approach work using a server that can be added on to my network separately? I do IPv4 address assignment by letting a Firebrick acting as DHCPv4 server manage all hosts. It happens to hand out assignments that are fixed according to a MAC-to-IPv4 mapping table that is in the Firebrick's config. So they appear static / fixed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version