Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Local DNS - taming IPv6  (Read 1644 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Local DNS - taming IPv6
« on: April 10, 2017, 03:02:38 AM »

DNS

I'd like to be able to do reverse-lookup on IPv6 addresses of hosts on my LAN. The Apple iOS boxes are spinning globally routable 'privacy'-type IPv6 addresses for themselves, as the should be, plus the usual link-local ones too. How could I get Lan-internal DNS forward and especially reverse lookup organised? It would be nice if I could set things up to handle all the different IPv6 addresses of each box, I count four global privacy ones per iOS box typically, plus a link-local one.

Could I use MAC addresses as part of the solution?

Ideally I would also be able to set up more than one distinct DNS name for each machine because that is what I do for IPv4 (apart from also having one domain names per I/f with IPv4 addresses eg ipv4.3G.thisbox.mydomain.com or ipv4.lan.thisbox.mydomain.com) and then I could have so perhaps link-local.ipv6.lan.thisbox.mydomain.com, as well as ipv6.lan.thisbox.mydomain.com because that way I can ping a specific i/f, and IP ver, and check the individual address classes too. It's easy enough to do that currently because they are all statically configured and I can do anything I like. God knows whether such a think is even possible.

anything