Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Openreach educashun  (Read 3209 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Openreach educashun
« on: March 30, 2017, 06:50:44 PM »

Did Openreach marketing men attend a primary school?

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/super-fastfibreaccess/cpeenablement/cpeenablement.do

Luck at the big imidge. Semi-literate staff fink everry apostrophy is gud.‬

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Openreach educashun
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 06:55:10 PM »

If they add then, they wood of add too learn properly. I'm exhausted now. And I of polluted my own auto-correct subsystem, so I of to learn how to undo the damage. I shouldn't be surprised, seeing as in my experience marketing men can rarely do anything but spew out clichés or generic business-speak that means practically nothing.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 07:16:07 PM by Weaver »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 07:11:32 PM »

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/super-fastfibreaccess/cpeenablement/cpeenablement.do

Luck at the big imidge. Semi-literate staff fink everry apostrophy is gud.‬

Are you sure that is the link you intended to show?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 07:13:49 PM »

Yup, I am seeing it ok. Look at the big splash image. See "Giving you and your customer's" [sic] shudder's.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 07:17:51 PM »

Mind you, autocorrect doesn't help matters much - I constantly have to fight it. (Sory shud reed constantly of too fite it.) This alien written language would perhaps be the 21C version of Nigel Molesworth-speak from “Down with Skool” by Ronald Seattle and Geoffrey Willans, but without the private school context.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 07:22:00 PM by Weaver »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 07:19:40 PM »

Ah, I see it now.  :-X

My excuse is that it is not a big splash image when viewed on my system. And it dates from a year ago.  ::)

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 08:10:48 PM »

To be fair, it's just one error; it's common to see pages with several. The general tone, phrasing and sentence construction on the page would suggest that it was written by a person well versed in good English.

Too bad it happened to be the main 'splash'.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 08:27:01 PM »

4candles is correct. However unless it is an autocorrect thung - which has happened to me - then it would just immediately leap out at anyone who has had a real education as opposed to the substitute for one that seems to be going around. It instantly jumped out of the page and hit me in the eye, I never even read any of the content. And it doesn't say much about their attention to quality, I would never ever send anything out at work without proofreading it first.

A lot of the mistakes that I make are due to autocorrect or to bad edits, where I have started off trying to say one thing and then changed my mind and messed up the edit. We are none of us perfect, certainly not me. I can never remember the difference between dependent and dependant though, and I have to look it up again and again, just can't retain it.

But when you are representing your employer it should not be about just one person. For that there is little excuse. And after all there were only a few word's in that splash image - have all the thing's too screw up. That's just my personal opinion.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 12:37:29 PM »

As it's an image then auto correct would have nothing to do with it - no such thing in graphic progs such as photoshop.

Content will be written by one dept and the graphics done by an entirely different team whose job it will be to paint pretty pictures all day.
You would have thought that someone would have spotted it on proofing though.  :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 12:46:48 PM »

Kitz - I was assuming that there was some tool that rendered text as a bitmap, and possibly combined it with a background or did some other transformation on it afterwards.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 10:09:07 PM »

Professional graphic designers use Adobe Photoshop, but similar applies to most of the graphics programs.

No text isnt rendered as a bitmap.  Any text has to be input (typed) directly on to the graphic as a new layer.  The can be a vector layer or raster layer.  Saving the layer as a vector can be useful if you want to say manipulate the size or scale later, but is usually rasterised once the image is complete.
Any transformations to the text such as shading/colour/drop shadows is usually performed on the raster layer but it does depend on the program.  Photoshop is better at saving vectors but it must be saved as a .psd file.   
An image for the web must be saved as jpg, gif or png and in those cases all layers must be merged down at time of saving.

There's not many programs that can truly open .psd files.  There's some such as gimp or corel which attempt to,  but they dont to very well when it comes to any transformations made to text.   I know - Ive tried.   I have an old copy of Photoshop which I bought years ago with a student licence but it doesnt work  well with windows10 and I tried unsuccessfully to find something else which would properly open the text layers and any transformations that I'd made to them.

Sample below of a graphic prog and how you input text into an image.  In this instance graphic was made in PaintShopPro because its quick for me to open.
The layer is a raster layer and if I wanted I could then apply an effect such as  colour gradient or drop shadow to the raster layer before saving as a .png
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 10:13:11 PM »

I thought of this thread today.   
There was an item on BBC news this morning at about 8 o'clock whereby a guy was going round painting apostrophes on shop signs... and the BBC was saying you could submit samples of apostrophe errors on their website. 

-----

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 10:16:35 PM »

It definitely wasn't me.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 10:35:13 PM »

I thought of this thread today.   
There was an item on BBC news this morning at about 8 o'clock whereby a guy was going round painting apostrophes on shop signs... and the BBC was saying you could submit samples of apostrophe errors on their website.

There was a section on the Jeremy Vine show (Radio 2) about it today, also. If one feels the need, it could be listened to on catch-up.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2017, 10:49:44 PM »

Pages: [1] 2