Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anybody got DSL Stats or HG612 modem Stats working properly on a Mac  (Read 6775 times)

jaydub

• Reg Member

Just wondering whether anybody has got either DSLStats or H^612 Modem Stats working properly on a Mac, as I am struggling.

I can get DSL Stats to run under both Winebottler and Wineskin, however it fails to connect via Telnet to my ZyXel VMG8924-B10A router after no more than 3 or 4 minutes of running.

My attempts at running HG612 Modem Stats are far worse with the application crashing both Winebottler and WineSkin.

Looking at both the Winebottler and Wineskin web sites, it appears that the latest versions are only compatible up to Yosemite, so the fact that I am ion Sierra may not be helping.

Having never used either app under windows, it may well be that I am doing something wrong and selecting the wrong exe to run, so I would welcome any thoughts on how best to get either of these apps running on our iMac.

Thanks for your help.

jaydub

• Reg Member
Re: Anybody got DSL Stats or HG612 modem Stats working properly on a Mac
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 10:35:36 PM »

Further update for HG612_Modem_Stats.

I can get the application to run now, but can't set up a schedule as it won't accept the username / password combination.  Any ideas?

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 09:21:33 AM »

If there is anyone using a Mac out there I would appreciate some input as to how you get your data into MyDSLWebStats.  The best I can do with my VMG8924 is about three minutes worth of DSLStats upload, before the telnet login fails.

I still can't get a session running on HG612_Modem_Stats as it won't accept my account username and password.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 10:04:43 AM »

I don't know enough about Macs these days now they are Linux kernel based but have you tried the DSLStats Linux version on your Mac? It might just be worth a shot - who knows? If it still fails you've lost nothing. Failing that is it worth trying to compile DSLStats on the Mac as the source code is available.

Stuart
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 10:07:08 AM by broadstairs »
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 10:15:50 AM »

I got Dslstats fully working on my Mac via Docker using the package mentioned in the 'Docker' thread. Might be worth a try.

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 11:18:45 AM »

I don't know enough about Macs these days now they are Linux kernel based but have you tried the DSLStats Linux version on your Mac? It might just be worth a shot - who knows? If it still fails you've lost nothing. Failing that is it worth trying to compile DSLStats on the Mac as the source code is available.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Yes I have tried the Linux version and it won't run the executable  I'm not very technical, so no idea how to compile the source code on the Mac.

Thanks,

Jon

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 11:20:58 AM »

I got Dslstats fully working on my Mac via Docker using the package mentioned in the 'Docker' thread. Might be worth a try.

Hi Andy,

I'm afraid being fairly non-technical, I'm struggling to make it work.

Happy to give it another go if you can walk me through what you did.

Thanks,

Jon

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 11:33:23 AM »

I'll give it a go.... It was a few days back but Im sure I can piece it all together :-)

First thing is to install docker from here, following the instructions.

https://docs.docker.com/docker-for-mac/install/#install-and-run-docker-for-mac

You will probably also want to install kitematic as it makes things easier to administer. I think there's a link from the Docker pulldown in the menu bar once Docker is running.

Once it is running in your menubar, bring up a terminal window on your mac and run the following:

docker pull rossallan/dslstats

This should install the DSLStats package

You then need to start it up. This was the command line I used from the terminal

docker run -d --name="dslstats" --net=bridge -p 66000:5900/tcp -p66001:8080/tcp -e "VNC_PASSWORD"="MyPassword" -v/Users/andy/Documents/dslstats:/config  rossallan/dslstats

If this fails you might need to create the 'config' folder manually inside your Documents folder. You will also need to edit that line above to point to your own home Documents folder by editing the 'Andy' part.

This should get you most of the way to actually getting the container running. Once that is so, you can configure DSLStats...

Let me know how you get on. A lot of this is from memory so might not be 100%!

Andy. 

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 01:33:12 PM »

Hi Andy,

I've managed to get as far as the docker run command, but get the error message "Invalid hostPort: 66000."

I suspect this is because I also need to be running VNC.

If that is the case can you please recommend a package that will run in Opera ideally and let me know what I need to do to configure it.

Also a quick question:  Does your dslstats folder have a colon at the end or is the colon significant from a syntax perspective?

I have a suspicion that once we get through this that I will see exactly the same issue I have had running DSLStats under Winebottler and Wineskin, but will be good to prove it one way or another.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Jon

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 01:48:57 PM »

Hi. The port numbers are fairly abitrart, try 10000 and 10001 for example.

The colon is part of the syntax - you don't need it in the actual folder name.

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 05:40:23 PM »

10000 and 10001 worked.

I guess the VNC Password bit isn't critical.

Now for the next stupid question:  I can start the DSLStats service in Kitematic, but can't see the DSL Stats UI.  Any ideas.  Struggling to make much sense of what Kitematic is saying, although having rerun it it I do get the following error message:

(dslstats:15): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0
172.17.0.1 - - [06/Apr/2017 16:33:04] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 -

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 05:46:01 PM »

THere's a possibility that it might have left a lock file behind from a previous run which stops it restarting. you need to run a shell inside the Docker container and remove, but I can remember exactly how to do this. There's a button in Kitematic that does it if the container is running.

Once you got the shell running the file you want to delete can be got rid of by doing 

rm /tmp/.X0*

If you then restart the Docker container, hopefully it will come up ok.

If it does, you then need to run the mac screen sharing App, and connect to localhost:10000, or whichever port you picked previously. It's the one just before the :5900 in the command line

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 09:16:15 PM »

I'll reboot the Mac and give it another go in the morning.  Still not twigged what is generating the graphics here.  I can't help thinking the VNC password is signiicant.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 08:50:22 AM »

Have you considered getting a Raspberry Pi  and using DSL Stats on that?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 10:43:19 AM »

Hi Ronski,

No I haven't.  I'm a bit of a technophobe and since I'm between jobs at he moment, I'm not sure the time is right to start playing with toys I don't understand.  Very professional toys though they may be!!

Jon
Pages: [1] 2