Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is my upstream sync any good ? - ratios  (Read 5299 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Is my upstream sync any good ? - ratios
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 08:24:32 PM »

I dont think there will be any direct correlation. Firstly theres such things as PSD masks and Power cut back.   There's also several different PSD masks in use depending on line length.  Its the reason why if you get Annex_M those very same downstream tones converted to upstream most likely wont get the same bitload. 

Finally crosstalk.   Crosstalk can and does also affect ADSL/2/2+
I saw my BE* line go from a full 24Mbps down to more like 20Mbps by the time the MSAN was filled with O2 users. It only really affected my downstream.  You cant predict how much crosstalk will affect an individual line.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 08:35:33 PM »

Kitz makes an excellent point, I forgot about power limitations. I have probably had it.

It is still interesting to know how you compare against similar lines though so that you can detect if you have a problem. Here my question I suppose comes down to "What might it mean if someone has relatively good or bad upstream sync compared to another user’s similar line, but their downstream doesn't compare with the other’s in the same way?"

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 01:03:24 PM »

I found some good stuff here
    https://www.ericsson.com/ag/res/thecompany/docs/publications/ericsson_review/2006/vdsl2.pdf

which I noticed because of a post by asbokid.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2017, 01:23:11 AM »

I have put a request in to my isp to ask if the up-stream can be put to 3dB target to see if it will improve my up-load.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2017, 04:43:34 AM »

Tickmike what kind of line is it?

I wish I had the option to change my 21CN ADSL2 lines to 3dB upstream as well but there seems to be no such choice visible in the UI on AA'S clueless server for 21CN.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2017, 10:40:45 AM »

Tickmike what kind of line is it?
21CN ADSL2+ line  4.3kl  long, 51dB Line attenuation, Target now = 6dB and 6dB, Not had a reply from the isp yet.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 10:43:22 AM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2017, 07:41:15 PM »

Tickmike, I fear that it isn't technically possible, I hope to be wrong. What do others think? Do please let us know how you get on. I would love to do likewise

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2017, 03:08:26 PM »

Are you on 'Annex I'   The voice frequency ranges are used for additional 256kbps upstream, I can not do that as we want a POT's line, we need the phone.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats_explanation.htm

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2017, 03:45:09 PM »

Just really wish I were on Annex I but I don't think anyone does it in the UK. Deutsche Telekom offers Annex J in Germany though. But Annex I would be superb. For me those frequencies are just being completely wasted.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2017, 04:34:37 PM »

I did not know that  :o

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2017, 11:48:46 PM »

No not used in the UK.  Different countries tend to stick with certain Annex's.   Start mixing them up on the same MSAN and you get high risk of crosstalk.
Openreach have strict limitations on what can and cant be used on their network.

The target SNR profiles are up to the owner of the MSAN.   BE* used to allow both 3dB for up and down.   Cant recall what TT use.
If you are on adsl1/2/2+ can you not tweak your own downstream target margin? 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2017, 04:25:50 AM »

It's supposed to be worth an extra 256kbps. I presume that means 'in increased sync rate', and  you have to take protocol overheads out of that for ATM and above. So it's not peanuts.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2017, 10:53:58 AM »

My reply from my isp a bit late "I cannot set the upstream any lower than 6dB, unfortunately. I don't have control over the PSD" .
Pages: 1 [2]