Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ultra-Fast BB  (Read 1906 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Ultra-Fast BB
« on: March 28, 2017, 07:16:04 AM »

Half a million premises have gone Ultrafast

By the end of this week, over 100,000 homes in our 17 pilot locations will have access to Ultrafast speeds, thanks to G.fast technology. And if you add that to our Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) footprint of 435,000 premises, it means we’re motoring towards our commitment to make Ultrafast speeds available to half a million premises across the UK by the end of March.

And we’re not stopping anytime soon - we’ve recently switched on our first G.fast cabs in Scotland, and are setting our first cabs up in Wales, too. In fact, we’ve got plans to make G.fast available to more than 10 million UK homes by the end of 2020.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Ultra-Fast BB
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 06:16:10 PM »

By the end of this week, over 100,000 homes in our 17 pilot locations will have access to Ultrafast speeds

iirc the original projection for the g.fast trial was 138,000 premises so there's still more to come.  It would be interesting to know how many have actually taken up the service.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 06:28:33 PM »

I would imagine not very many at this stage. A large number of ISP's have chosen not to take part in the trial. Plusnet for 1 have decided not to take part. I recall reading that it also cannot be directly ordered either, and requires those on the trial cabinets to be invited. This may have only been the earlier trials, or I may have picked that up wrong completely.

Do we have prices for the trial? I would assume they would be very similar to that of a VDSL2 service to try encourage participants.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 06:37:28 PM »

It's in the latest BTWholesale WBC price list, 330/50 and 160/30 monthly EU rental is the same as 80/20 FTTC. Listed as "pilot pricing only" "until launch". ISPs will have to give it some sort of appropriately higher price for the higher speed, plus they have to pay for the bandwidth shared over all their customers.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 07:20:02 PM »

It's in the latest BTWholesale WBC price list, 330/50 and 160/30 monthly EU rental is the same as 80/20 FTTC. Listed as "pilot pricing only" "until launch". ISPs will have to give it some sort of appropriately higher price for the higher speed, plus they have to pay for the bandwidth shared over all their customers.

This news is good.

On the pricing, I think that a lot of consideration will have to go in to it or else its going to end up competing with FTTC prices.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 12:40:44 AM »

:-)

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 12:02:02 PM »

Good stuff. Give it a few months they should have more premises at >100Mb on their own tab than co-funded by taxpayers.

anything