Broadband Related > ADSL Issues

Weird message from "PSTN test" on two out of three lines

(1/3) > >>

Weaver:
I accidentally hit "PSTN Test" in clueless.aa.net.uk today, and this is what I got for line cwcc@a.1 = BBEU20700042:

--- Quote ---WLR3Test WLR3_CIDT_Test cbs00556dat03:61518000: Pass Line Test OK. Dial tone OK ServiceLevel:2.5, MainFaultLocation:OK, FaultReportAdvised:N, AppointmentRequired:N, LineStability:Unstable, NetworkStability:Stable, StabilityStatement:Unstable - Line may test OK but recent routine tests indicate possible fault. Openreach diagnostic testing has determined the need for an Engineer investigation, where possible test and demonstrate with EU. Routine test & fault data available at Customer Diagnostic Tool on INFORMe under MIS>Artisan>CDT. If no fault is found please close as FNF. If a fault is found close using the appropriate clear code. Do not close as RWT as a possible fault has been detected   cwcc@a
--- End quote ---

I wonder what this is about, is it real or a red herring? Asked AA what they thought about it, but it's a bit late in the day for any humans to be around. Also there was a similar report for line cwcc@a.4 = BBEU20709519 :

--- Quote ---WLR3Test WLR3_CIDT_Test hws00556dat01:61584563: Pass Line Test OK. Dial tone OK ServiceLevel:2.5, MainFaultLocation:OK, FaultReportAdvised:N, AppointmentRequired:N, LineStability:Unstable, NetworkStability:Stable, StabilityStatement:Unstable - Line may test OK but recent routine tests indicate possible fault. Openreach diagnostic testing has determined the need for an Engineer investigation, where possible test and demonstrate with EU. Routine test & fault data available at Customer Diagnostic Tool on INFORMe under MIS>Artisan>CDT. If no fault is found please close as FNF. If a fault is found close using the appropriate clear code. Do not close as RWT as a possible fault has been detected
--- End quote ---

The remaining line, cwcc@a.3, showed no weirdness at all. I wondered if it might be moaning about the _intentionally_ low SNRM but then all the lines are the same in that respect.

aesmith:
What does the Copper Line Test show?   Just wondering if for a DSL only line whether you might get some weirdness if they're testing PSTN function.

Weaver:
Copper line test is success currently. Just retested it.

burakkucat:
The second string from the beginning of both reports shows "WLR3_CIDT_Test". So I read it as you have performed Copper Integrated Demand Testing on both circuits.

A very brief synopsis of the Openreach document PHME 62559, dated 2011, is "CIDT is an optional service for CPs which will detect High Resistance (HR) faults and many underlying broadband performance faults."

Weaver:
What is your opinion of the significance of this?

Andrews and Arnold said in their opinion it was a red herring given the length of the line and the low SNRM. However it is only true for two out of the three lines. Maybe it's simply that they don't have any other tools at their disposal, and there are no significant symptoms apart from very occasional flecks of packet loss which have been seen for months.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version