Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Verizon 'supercookie'  (Read 1455 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Verizon 'supercookie'
« on: March 29, 2017, 08:47:41 PM »

I recently heard about the disgusting case of the Verizon 'supercookie' in the US. Misleading name, nit strong enough.

Ten years on: Reminds me of the horrendous PHORM scandal over here ten years ago concerning among others some vile morality-free corporate outfit called 'BT' - a company that was at the time reported to the City of London police who refused to take any action in cowardly dereliction of their duty. (That was why I as far as possible stopped doing business with 'BT' and even dropped any customers who used them as their ISP.)

Have there been any more such cases as the Verizon thing over the years?

There is a useful tool for iOS that does a whole lot of useful networking-related jobs and it can do a Verizon super cookie security check. I gave it a plug in an earlier thread, must dig that out. I don't know how general the check is as coded by the developer. Hopefully he had the good sense to detect any suspicious tricks of the same approximate type as the Verizon evil.

Anyway a general upstream pollution check tool might be a good idea. I could write one to live on my web server given a little inspiration as dealing with legitimate variation in eg browsers' output would be difficult. Presumably the Verizon thing would have to be restricted to HTTP only, wonder about HTTPS?

However since this is the isp we're talking about they could get up to other kinds of evil solely in the middle boxes as in the PHORM case which cannot be detected.