Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Static IP config in iOS 10  (Read 29730 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Static IP config in iOS 10
« on: March 27, 2017, 05:03:33 PM »

I am trying to set a static IPv4 address etc in the config on my iPad but it just seems to go ape if there is no DHCP server present. Am I going mad? It comes up with an orange warning about no internet connection and then won't save the static ip info that I have entered. When I go back into settings it has just thrown away my entries under Static IP and it merely shows a 169.254 address.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Re: Static IP config in iOS 10
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 05:26:34 PM »

Hi weaver

I hope you don't shout, but did you set the gateway and dns servers

Also, as an aside, I usually static assign from router using MAC address

Many thanks

John

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 05:26:46 PM »

No DHCP server present? Are you sure you aren't confusing DHCP with DNS? If its static, you need to hard code the DNS server too, as well as the IP/Mask/Gateway

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 05:34:30 PM »

I never used to set these other settings. Won't be using DNS, and don't need a default gateway as I am not accessing the internet

It's just while I am talking to a router temporarily to set it up. I've done this umpteen times in the past and never bothered to fill in all the fields before. I'm wondering if this is a change in ios10.

But as a workaround, I did put in values for the default gateway and dns server once, but that didn't help. The only thing that worked was to frig the router in question temporarily to be a dhcp server.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 06:00:33 PM »

Hi weaver

I tested in my mobile with iOS10.2, and can both manual set (no gateway and dns set) and also set IPv6

I would restart iPad

I appreciate iPhone is not iPad, so sorry if I'm wrong

Many thanks

John

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 06:36:02 PM »

I do not posses any iDevice so what follows may be irrelevant . . .

When testing a device, to which I intend to connect via a static address, I set the interface of the computer in a very ritualistic manner which is best shown by example.

Assume the device in question is a Huawei SmartAX MT882 which has been configured to respond via the 192.168.1.254 IPv4 address. I intend to connect it to a computer via the Ethernet port. The computer's interface will be set as follows --
  • Interface Address   192.168.1.10 (any value between 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.253 would be appropriate)
  • Broadcast Address 192.168.1.255
  • Subnet Mask         255.255.255.0
  • Default Route        192.168.1.254
  • Primary DNS         192.168.1.254
  • Secondary DNS     192.168.1.254
The above list may well be "overkill" but it will never fail.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 06:51:09 PM »

The stupid iPad simply would not store the parameters I put in and when you went back into settings it was back on the page for DHCP instead of showing the static IP page, and switching to static IP it just showed 169.254.x.x. But I have done this procedure literally a hundred times using the iPad and other boxes without any problems, and in particular I know that the iPad did not (in ios9 anyway) formerly require you to enter non-essential fields such as default gateway and dns server which are only needed if you are going to use the internet and dns respectively.

I did as suggested and rebooted the machine. Still no joy. This is with a DHCP server currently present on the LAN, the Firebrick. I must be going mad.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 06:54:34 PM by Weaver »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 07:04:13 PM »

I did as suggested and rebooted the machine. Still no joy. This is with a DHCP server currently present on the LAN, the Firebrick.
Quite crazy.  :crazy:

I must be going mad.

But not you.  :no:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 08:03:09 PM »

I don't have access right now to an iPad running iOS 10.

But a suggestion on one forum thread suggests that if you simply change the config from DHCP to static, it will revert to DHCP at first opportunity.

However, if you tap 'forget this network' first, and then enter all the details afresh including static IP, it may behave as you and I expect, and remember the static IP.

As said, I can't try it.   Currently using an iPad 2 which stops at iOS 9.   But it might work?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 08:52:43 PM »

> But a suggestion on one forum thread suggests that if you simply change the config from DHCP to static, it will revert to DHCP at first opportunity.

Sounds just like what I am seeing.

And I did not hit 'forget' either, because it's a wireless LAN of course with a password from hell about a thousand miles long and I didn't want to be re-entering it all again.

Perhaps I have never done this under iOS 10 before.

I contacted Apple support, I'm hoping they will get back to me. I asked them to email me with the answer but apparently they don't know how to use email or something, they have live chat since I was in it and they like telephones a lot, which I don't as I'm too fuzzy to cope with them most of the time, unless Janet is on hand to help me. So I think I probably got precisely nowhere with that.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 09:06:32 PM »

I contacted Apple support, I'm hoping they will get back to me

My own experience of Apple Support is same as any other tech company.  They will
1) treat it as an rtfm. 
If that fails,
2) they will fail to understand the question.

They are wrong to do that this but, like every other tech company dealing with a 'consumer', it is likely.  Personally I prefer to simply avoid 'tech support', when possible.

As regards 'forget this network' and reconfiguring, a way to mitigate the 1000 mile password might be, prior to the change, if the firebrick allows it, navigate to the router config page and tick 'show password'.   You can then select and copy the 1000 miles, ready to paste into the new WiFi config?

If apple support prove me wrong, by solving the problem, I will be delighted.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 09:47:45 PM »

Apple support is at least extremely polite and they all sound like they actually want to sort you out (as long as it doesn't involve advanced things like emailification). I think they have all been on some course. Support is costing me a small fortune anyway and I am determined to get my money's worth. Apple's hideous cryptic and terse UI is like a puzzle that this primate is not doing too wel solving, so I have lots of 'how on earth do I' and 'where's the x' questions. I long for Microsoft's properly designed look-and-feel and actual help in the software products too. We seem to have gone backwards a long way since the Mac came out. Most hilarious of all was when a I contacted them to ask them how to fire up a chat session in the Apple Support App, instead of starting a phone call. They couldn't tell me how to do it, the function to do it was actually there all the time but so buried in the UI that I couldn't see it and they couldn't tell me how to locate it, so they just misdiagnosed it as a bug to do with me being in the wrong country and told me it must be broken.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 09:54:58 PM »

And with all that, you'd still not rather just try 'forget this network', especially with the suggestion I have given to simplify password reentry?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 10:14:42 PM »

I will certainly take up your suggestion - misunderstanding. I am just wondering though how I used to be able to get away without this grief - is it really a backwards step in iOS 10 thing. For all the fuss about ios10 I can't think of anything in particular that is good about it.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 10:30:54 PM »

If my suggestion fixes it, I would regard it as simply a bug, regardless whether that bug was introduced in iOS 10 or some other version.

Re iOS 10 though feature set though, I think you are right.   It does nothing exciting.   My iPad Mini that runs iOS 10 is really no different to my old iPad 2 on iOS 9.  The old iPad does crash a lot, but that is due to it being old (limited RAM) rather than software instability.

Biggest visible change with iOS 10 was double tap to unlock, rather than swipe.  To this day, that infuriates me, mainly as I have both ios 9 and 10 devices in use, two iPods and two iPhones.   Utterly pointless change, and hardly merits a 'new' version of iOS. >:(
Pages: [1] 2 3