Computers & Hardware > Apple Related

Static IP config in iOS 10

(1/7) > >>

Weaver:
I am trying to set a static IPv4 address etc in the config on my iPad but it just seems to go ape if there is no DHCP server present. Am I going mad? It comes up with an orange warning about no internet connection and then won't save the static ip info that I have entered. When I go back into settings it has just thrown away my entries under Static IP and it merely shows a 169.254 address.

d2d4j:
Hi weaver

I hope you don't shout, but did you set the gateway and dns servers

Also, as an aside, I usually static assign from router using MAC address

Many thanks

John

andyfitter:
No DHCP server present? Are you sure you aren't confusing DHCP with DNS? If its static, you need to hard code the DNS server too, as well as the IP/Mask/Gateway

Weaver:
I never used to set these other settings. Won't be using DNS, and don't need a default gateway as I am not accessing the internet

It's just while I am talking to a router temporarily to set it up. I've done this umpteen times in the past and never bothered to fill in all the fields before. I'm wondering if this is a change in ios10.

But as a workaround, I did put in values for the default gateway and dns server once, but that didn't help. The only thing that worked was to frig the router in question temporarily to be a dhcp server.

d2d4j:
Hi weaver

I tested in my mobile with iOS10.2, and can both manual set (no gateway and dns set) and also set IPv6

I would restart iPad

I appreciate iPhone is not iPad, so sorry if I'm wrong

Many thanks

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version