Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Google Maps update is set to reveal your live location  (Read 4498 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Google Maps update is set to reveal your live location
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2017, 01:08:48 PM »

there is definite benefits to location tracking, however I have a strong belief the user should consent first, it shouldnt be done on the sly so to speak.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2017, 01:26:49 PM »

I agree, and it s should be really easy to see who you've shared the information with and how to change the options, often it's far too complicated.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2017, 12:18:49 PM »

I think the danger is more from the masses being uneducated about this stuff.

It's like on facebook people using their phones keep 'Checking in' to places. Perfect for anyone who knows them that their house is empty. I think there as been cases this as happened to. A quick err google pulled up these 2 cases. The first is people actually writing on faceook they are going away, and the second link is the checking in function.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/facebook/8004716/Facebook-users-warned-of-burglary-risk.html Facebook users warned of burglary risk

http://www.ibtimes.com/how-burglars-use-facebook-target-vacationing-homeowners-1341325 How Burglars Use Facebook To Target Vacationing Homeowners

I've never used the checking in function as I don't want facebook or twitter on my phone. But is this option defaulted to On?

I used to have a friend who was clinically paranoid and he would put his phone, a dumb phone but they had gps too, in a tin foil box that stops the signals coming out.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2
Pages: 1 [2]