Broadband Related > FTTC and FTTP Issues

Possible FTTC issues with an alarm

(1/4) > >>

gt94sss2:
I got a MDWS alert today saying that our FTTC line had disconnected - not a shock in itself as it had been up over a month - until I saw that it had reconnected at 52/3 MB rather than its usual 55/10 (with attainable at 60MB+)

I gather what happened is that my family got their alarm serviced today and discovered the alarm system wasn't connected to the phone line (i.e. all the extensions were disconnected) so the alarm engineer reconnected the extension wiring to the master socket.

I can't get to the socket at the moment to take a picture but was wondering if anyone can tell if the extension is incorrectly connected the extension wiring (or any other issue!) - say before the DSL filter - by looking at the stats for the line on MDWS (user: gt94sss2)?

The Hlog and Quiet Line tests certainly don't look pretty but I'm not an expert on deciphering them

Thanks

burakkucat:
There is certainly some perturbation of the Hlog plot for the lower frequency sub-carriers but it is not something that I have seen before. (Musing, in parenthesis, it looks as something is generating negative attenuation.  ???  )

Likewise, the QLN plot shows a veritable forest in the same lower frequency sub-carrier range.

I suspect that you have already made the correct diagnosis. The alarm circuitry has been incorrectly connected to the circuit.

gt94sss2:
I note from the stats that my B0 INP reading has gone down slightly and the Interleave Depth seems to have halved - so not sure what is going on with  my line - I would have thought these were 'good things' not that the line should have lost speed as a result?

Edit: my post crossed with burakkucat's above..

How does one get negative attenuation on a line - I see it has fallen slightly..

I will see if I can get some pictures of the inside of the NTE - then just need to work out how to fix whatever it is (am not very gifted in this area:/)

Black Sheep:
The bane of broadband circuits ....... incorrectly connected, alarm system telephony wiring.

If you only have the bog-standard NTE5 configuration (No SSFP), then the alarm engineer should fit an appropriate filter within the alarm system itself. Conversely, if you  do have the SSFP set-up ..... then simply connecting to the lower front-plate will ensure the circuit is wired correctly.

gt94sss2:
I know we have a Mk3 filter attached to the master socket. No idea how the alarm wiring is set as I was overseas when it was installed but imagine its been connected somewhere to the previously installed internal extension telephone wiring somewhere within the house which was otherwise unused (and disconnected - as I didn't know anything was using it!)

Will try and get some pics

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version