Broadband Related > Telephony Wiring + Equipment

Is Blue/Brown in 4pair dropwire A/B or B/A?

(1/5) > >>

H4rry:
I'm currently drawing a diagram of connections to figure out a separate issue and need some clarification please.

The house is served (by BT) to the Wall block terminal (BT66B) by a 4pair cable coming underground from the pavement DP.

I'm assuming this underground cable is a dropwire cable as it has the following pair scheme which is indicative or Dropwire 14 or 15 spec:
Pair 1: Orange/White, Pair 2: Green/Black, Pair 3: Red/Grey, Pair 4: Blue/Brown

The Blue/Brown pair is the one serving the house and I need to clarify which of the 2 colours should be going to the NTE5 A/B terminals?

j0hn:

--- Quote from: H4rry on March 23, 2017, 02:12:38 PM ---The Blue/Brown pair is the one serving the house and I need to clarify which of the 2 colours should be going to the NTE5 A/B terminals?

--- End quote ---
Either. It makes absolutely no difference.

licquorice:
Older dropwire didn't even have colour codes so wasn't even possible to determine A and B legs. The only time polarity mattered was in the good old days of shared service when ringing was A leg to earth for subscriber A and B leg to earth for subscriber B.

H4rry:
I see...

Does that mean that BT are serving telephone lines with random DC polarity for each line (because it doesn't matter)?
Or is the polarity switched at the exchange by way of detecting the wiring scheme?

licquorice:
Because it doesn't matter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version