Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: I need a certain type of isp - Recommendations Please  (Read 27484 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: I need a certain type of isp - Recommendations Please
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2017, 10:19:06 PM »

I also called tentel who are based in Edinburgh. They use talk talk and BTW depends on where you live. Tental have dynamic IP as well. £1.50 for a static IP. Cheaper that plusnet.

I should point out although irrelevant to you Tentel fixed IP charge is per month, Plusnet is a one off charge of £5, so who's is the cheapest?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

insidejob

« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2017, 08:38:18 PM »

Well that's two ISP's I have ruled out.

First carrying on from newtronstars thread about Vodafone fibre. I called them about this VF router only thing. The adviser had to ask the technical team but confirmed that, Vodafone dont give out username and passwords for use with another router and Vodafone don't support third party routers at the moment.

So avoid Vodafone broadband, if you want to use your own router.

Called sky today and while pleasant enough and helpful, its the same situation as with Vodafone. Sky said, you have to use there supplied router and they dont give out router login details either.

Prices are a bit expensive for top speeds. I have been told it's a static IP across all broadband packs not just the top fibre pack.

So it's pulse8, tentel and maybe talktalk or a company who users the talktalk network.

I looked at origin broadband but to many bad reviews and even co-op broadband that use the talktalk network but again, to many bad reviews. :(

http://www.broadband.co.uk/broadband/providers/origin/reviews/
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 08:44:23 PM by insidejob »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2017, 09:09:29 PM »

dont worry about sky

its very easy to get sky router login details and use your own, you can see in my sig I use pfsense.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #93 on: April 02, 2017, 12:52:23 AM »

Must admit EE was different this time around regarding user name and password for modem PPPoE details, the last time (18 months ago) they sent you a letter with the username & password before the modem arrived, now you need to call CS Support to see/get the password to use another modem.

Imagine if all ISP's started to deny access to customers PPPoE login details the third party modem industry would cease to exist in the UK

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #94 on: April 02, 2017, 01:24:49 AM »

Imagine if all ISP's started to deny access to customers PPPoE login details . . .

I can think of one ISP/CP who would not do so . . . Andrews & Arnold Ltd.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2017, 01:53:03 AM »

Luckily this is never going to happen because business users will not stand for it, so it's totally unrealistic for that reason outside the home market. But I can quite understand ISPs not wanting to have to support kit that they know nothing about, which may have bugs in, and worse still duff modems that may cause all kinds of apparent line faults. The whole business of terminating the service boundary before a dodgy dsl modem is rather problematic. Of course having enough choice so that you can get the absolute best modem is important in a way. But I have a lot of sympathy with the idea of BT delivering FTTC with a bundled Huawei modem, since after all modems are a commodity item and they either work or don't, and may or may not be less performant, but apart from service definition things like MTU they are just protocol converters so there is an attraction to say that the service is presented as Ethernet (x protocols delivered in Ethernet). It is then up to BT to get together a superb modem in order to make the service look good. The Huawei did have a naughty bug in it as I recall, corrupting user data under certain special circumstances. But there is also an opportunity to get a stunningly high quality modem put together and to get huge economies of scale.

Someone like, say, AA, in contrast with BT, has to try and find really good modems from somewhere, and I doubt they can realistically commission their own. Perhaps they could, if they banded together with others eg ISPA (earlier thread about the 'dream modem').

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2017, 04:07:53 PM »

I think the bundled modem on FTTC was partly due to the service maturing before they wanted to trust third party kit.  It was the same with ADSL, it was quite a while before they offered wires-only.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #97 on: April 02, 2017, 06:26:33 PM »

I think the bundled modem on FTTC was partly due to the service maturing before they wanted to trust third party kit.

You are absolutely correct.

It was the same with ADSL, it was quite a while before they offered wires-only.

Agreed.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #98 on: April 02, 2017, 07:39:58 PM »

But I have a lot of sympathy with the idea of BT delivering FTTC with a bundled Huawei modem, since after all modems are a commodity item and they either work or don't,

Sure Vodafone supplied a all in one Modem/Router which is Huawei HHG2500 guess what it didn't work very well on my line, I have no sympathy for any ISP who shoves out modems to customers which have not been tested thoroughly it's almost like the ISP are tying you into 18 months worth of beta testing

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #99 on: April 02, 2017, 09:35:32 PM »

. . . it's almost like the ISP are tying you into 18 months worth of beta testing

It certainly seems like that, from your experience of Vodafone Connect.  :-X

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #100 on: April 02, 2017, 10:12:44 PM »

Guessing G.FAST will just be like the HG612 Openreach will supply the modem for a few years most likely locked down and a bright boy/girl will unlock it and away we go again then the third party modems arrive and then ISP's move in to fill the space in this never ending circle of tech.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #101 on: April 02, 2017, 10:20:13 PM »

Guessing G.FAST will just be like the HG612 Openreach will supply the modem for a few years most likely locked down . . .

Yes, I'm certain, that will be the case.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #102 on: April 03, 2017, 04:10:02 PM »

I think they're working on wires-only / self-install G.fast to be available much sooner than was the case with FTTC. One of the advantages of G.fast over full fibre is that it can be done without requiring the engineer home visit.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #103 on: April 03, 2017, 07:27:29 PM »

Was just checking Sky Broadband forums for the first time they seem very strict on the use of a third party modem and you won't get any help even on the Sky forums it seems third party modems is a taboo subject  :o

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Fibre/Lose-connection-with-TP-Link-VR2600/m-p/2635893#M45672
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 07:31:24 PM by NewtronStar »

insidejob

« Reply #104 on: April 03, 2017, 10:32:37 PM »

Weaver I don't thinks its good for any isp to lock down there broadband, fibre service to only use that company's router or modem, or both.

When I joined plusnet I were given a technicolour 582 router with the BT ECI modem. I didn't like the router or did I want to use it to much for other reasons. So after short use, I changed it and bought my own router that I have used for years with little issue.

The other things is and this has been suggested to me by plusnet in past but obvious. If you call support for speed issue or other fault, some isp's will ask you to try another router to rule out that the router is the cause of your issues. Now you can't do that if the isp won't give you connection password and username.

It is wrong for any isp to make you use only their routers or modems, if there are compatible third party modems or routers you can use.

Maybe ofcom should put a stop to this practice and make all isp's, give out users account password and login details so to use other routers/modems.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 10:39:01 PM by insidejob »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

anything