Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: I need a certain type of isp - Recommendations Please  (Read 27647 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: I need a certain type of isp - Recommendations Please
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2017, 11:29:50 PM »

sevenlayermuddle If that were 100% correct then my location, close to it, would of been known, shown many years ago. That were not that case until recently.

It might have been known for years among the various spammers and orher nuisances.  The fact you only got wind of it recently would be irrelevant.

insidejob

« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2017, 11:34:38 PM »

I know because I have been checking the location of my IP's since I have been with Plusnet.

It always showed London hub but not anymore.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2017, 11:37:40 PM »

If you log into google, it tracks everything you do so will know where you are from your past history, while logged in. Something I dont do.

Without meaning to worry you any more, google track every interactin with their websites regardless of whether you are logged in.    Logging in allows you to see some of the stuff that google record, and creates the illusion that you can 'edit' that stuff.  But in reality they collect much more and there is nothing you can do to edit it.

insidejob

« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2017, 11:42:05 PM »

Ok but not like you say it. When you have dynamic IP's it makes that much harder as other people will of used the same IP, so makes it much harder to know who or where, the real person or location is.

Not including android or iphones.

Anyway have you got and ISP suggestion with dynamic IP and dont do what PN do?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 01:44:14 PM by insidejob »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2017, 11:42:46 PM »

I know because I have been checking the location of my IP's since I have been with Plusnet.

It always showed London hub but not anymore.

Yes, but that just shows that the data is a secret that is concealed from the IP location service.   It might still be known to many other commercial parties, willing to pay for it.   The fact they have paid for it, as opposed to public domain, would explain why they assist in keeping it as sectet.

Oh dear, did I say I didn't want to worry you more? :D

insidejob

« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2017, 11:44:47 PM »

You are not worrying me more. You know what you know and I know what I know. Simples  ;)

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2017, 12:12:07 AM »

Pulse8 line rental is quite good at £13 month but fibre is £39.90 for a 76mbps connection.
Pulse8 dont seem to do phone broadband bundles.

https://pulse8broadband.co.uk/fibreoptic-broadband

The phone line is included in fibre connections.  It's £39.90 all in.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2017, 08:52:20 AM »

Pulse8 dont seem to do phone broadband bundles.

Try working out how many calls you'd have to be making at Pulse8's rates before you'd reach the cost of a typical call package from other suppliers!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2017, 09:11:07 AM »

It's a lot.

We don't use our home phone much, but we had an expensive invoice last month: 51p.  I think previous months we've struggled to get above 10p.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2017, 09:53:08 AM »

A lot of the calls we make are daytime (so that would mean an Anytime package - £8.99/month from BT). Our average Pulse8 calls are around £4 to £5 - i.e. total cost less than BT's line rental without any package or calls.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2017, 06:44:02 AM »

tl;dr just about sums it up.  :-X

I just read that thread to, talk about going round in circles.......
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

insidejob

« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2017, 01:35:42 PM »

Ronski that's the paid trolls for you.

Well it's been far better on this forum than over on plusnet with more technical members who understand what my issue is. Now I am just after feedback from members who use other isp's and can let me know if they have there location showing close to home. Also if your isp offers dynamic IP.

Please refer to Admins post that does a top job of explaining this in detail and what I need or don't need.
Admins post here http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,19551.msg345162.html#msg345162

Static IP is not something I want, so not an option. Please remember I am talking about wired home broadband through your wired phone line. Not mobile, iphone, Android or WIFI broadband. So at the moment it's Talk talk, Maybe BT infinity and pulse8.

All I will say is, if you are like me and concerned about security and privacy, dont setup broadband with plusnet for reasons you can see and plusnet are not going to change it back or stop your locations showing near you, anytime soon.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 01:39:43 PM by insidejob »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2017, 02:35:14 PM »

I don't get this - if you don't do anything to tell systems where you are located on Plusnet's fixed IP they get it hopelessly wrong. My best guess at what was happening for me is that they used the location of others with IP addresses with the same first three parts as mine. At various times on the same IP address I have apparently been in Reading, Sheffield, Liverpool, London, I'm pretty sure there was one in Scotland as well as many other random locations. Not once did they say anywhere near Brighton where I did live or South West Wilts where I am now.

I'm now on a fixed IP with AAISP (same one since the end of November) and https://www.iplocation.net/ tells me I'm in Bracknell or Reading or Crowthorne (all around 60-70 miles out).

http://www.whatsmyip.org/more-info-about-you/ says I am in Aston-under-Lyne

http://www.ipdatabase.com says Reading.

On IPv6 whatismyipaddress points to somewhere near Skipton. On IPv4 it says Crowthorne.

Tracemyip says Richmond.

If I go in to Google maps using a different browser to normal it hasn't a clue where I am and defaults to showing the whole UK.

I think the key is that I don't have a smartphone or anything that has inbuilt GPS that has connected to the internet via my router.

Conclusion: if on a Plusnet or other fixed IP the geolocation sites know where you are there's only one person to blame: you!

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2017, 05:34:21 PM »

Static IP is not something I want, so not an option. Please remember I am talking about wired home broadband through your wired phone line. Not mobile, iphone, Android or WIFI broadband. So at the moment it's Talk talk, Maybe BT infinity and pulse8.

As I have said before, BT Infinity won't be suitable for you as one can usually easily tell which part of the country you are in from the routing if nothing else.

Tbh, I think you are worrying to much about your choice of ISP - just use a VPN - so that no one 'knows. your real IP address

insidejob

« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2017, 08:33:57 PM »

Gt94sss2 Well BT retail broadband is quite expensive for what you get so may not be such a loss.

I called pulse8 today and they answer the phone within seconds of it ringing. Impressed :) Not like, due to high call volumes our current wait time is approaching over 30 minutes. Now what ISP does that remind you of ?  ;) Lol

Pulse8 is dynamic IP. Very dynamic from what I were told. You can buy static IP to. I started to say about my current issue and right away, said that wont be a problem with pulse8. They use talk talk business services. I were told that prices have come down and were £44 ish before. So good to see this isp reduce prices where it can. Pulse8 say they have good reputation and have very little leaving customers, as most want to stay with them due to good service.

The only sting really is, the £49 charge I need to pay to move to them. I have to pay that. I can use my existing setup and pulse8 provide login details for any routers.

I also called tentel who are based in Edinburgh. They use talk talk and BTW depends on where you live. Tental have dynamic IP as well. £1.50 for a static IP. Cheaper that plusnet.

According to this they have reduced there prices.
 http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/03/uk-isp-tentel-cuts-unlimited-fibre-broadband-phone-prices.html

Any tentel customers on here? What's you experiences?

« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 08:38:39 PM by insidejob »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10