Broadband Related > ISPs

I need a certain type of isp - Recommendations Please

(1/28) > >>

insidejob:
Hi, hopefully in right forum for this. I assume many member on here use a verity of broadband providers?  I need some recommendations of isp's that one, have a dynamic IP and two dont show your home location so close to your actual City/town?

I am after fibre broadband really. I Dont want to go back to slow ADSL type broadband if I can help it.
Not plusnet as that's who I am with.

It would be helpful of members of other isp's, including BT, to say if you home location is shown or the central Hub data centres?

Thanks.

Weaver:
The thing about 'showing your location' is pretty much random, so it seems, in the sense that when you look at different ISPs and the accuracy of the geolocation of customers. We were discussing this a while ago. Certainly, with my ISP geolocation doesn't work at all.

But I certainly wouldn't want dynamic IPv4 addresses, in fact, I have gone to the opposite extreme, where every single box has a globally routable static IPv4 address and no NAT. I want a static IPv4 address because of reliability. If I lose the connection to the ISP, I can automatically reconnect and TCP sessions can carry on regardless, rather than just dropping everything on the floor, as TCP would have to if one endpoint moves.

If you don't want anyone to know where you are geographically, you have more to worry about from services bundled in with your operating system or with web browsers that report location based on Wireless LAN MAC addresses. Your iPhone or google / Facebook apps are pretty keen on identifying your location by a whole range of methods and this has nothing to do with a choice of ISP.

You need to think about cookies tracking you, these will track you even if you keep changing your ISP. So I don't see how picking a particular ISP is going to work because it isn't enough.

I would suggest that you just use Tor and then pick any good ISP you like. You can also use VPN services that move your apparent location away from the location shown for the actual ISP providing the current physical connection.

Also, remember IPv6 is about to take over. When you use IPv6 then you can use privacy addresses which individually are much harder to track. With the advent of IPv6, hopefully, most likely, there will be static /64 prefixes assigned to every LAN and that will identify where you are. But iirc Sky accidentally has dynamic prefix assignement for some imho crazy reason (to do with the advantages of making administration more difficult, the service less capable and minimising reliability.)

Do please ask if you don't know what Tor is. I am afraid that it will really be necessary to learn about all of this stuff unless you just want a false sense of security. A Tor browser and Tor VPN will sort you out and you will be able to have the best ISP because it is the best, not because of accidental characteristics which are going to change anyway.

ejs:
In case anyone wants the history:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/Plusnets-IP-s-Now-reveal-your-Location-to-close-to-home-Security/td-p/1422721

Weaver:
My ISP doesn't sell people's home locations to any utter gits for money as far as I am aware, and to do so it seems to me would be very much against their public stance relating to human rights. You can contact them and ask them about this.

All geolocation lookups for my IPv4 addresses are several hundred miles out.

What information can you find out about yourself by searching in various public databases?

insidejob:
Thanks Weaver for your reply. I appreciate you going in to detail but much of what you say isn't a problem like browser, OS, social media but at same time, I dont really want to use tor. It's Plusnet that are the problem.

I am already considering a VPN but Plusnet have only just started this location thing recently and are no longer the right ISP for me. I prefer dynamic IP and only if you are a business, gamer, or run a mail server, is a static IP any use. PN offer static IP at extra cost but I dont want it and will have the same issues, as it's the same isp.

My issues are related to this and as a consequence of it. http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=16711.0

So would like to keep it to isp recommendations and if members kindly on here, can say, if there real home location is showing under that ISP or not.  Thanks :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version