Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: what happens when migrating ADSL to Fibre  (Read 2891 times)

Sheepie

what happens when migrating ADSL to Fibre
« on: March 22, 2017, 08:09:02 PM »

what should BT Openreach do when somebody migrates from ADSL LLU to Fibre?

The reason I ask - I was meant to have been migrated today from TalkTalk LLU ADSL to FTTC. I got an email saying it was now "live" but the phone was dead and obviously no DSL.

Talk Talk wanted me to try different routers, different microfilters etc etc no idea why I told them the line was dead. Anyway I decided to call my own number and it got answered by some old lady in an assisted living property around the corner. Apparently she also needs a landline for panic button (in case of fall) and that does not work while she is connected to my number!

I am now going to have to wait 3 days for an engineer :( all because some openreach guy can't do his job.

Why did he have to repatch me at the cab in the first place? I would have thought that (and it's a complete guess) he would have repatched at the exchange to move me off ADSL and then patched me to a spare FTTC at the cab. Not touching the existing landline route in anyway?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: what happens when migrating ADSL to Fibre
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 08:32:39 PM »

It sounds like the engineer has accidentally crossed your line with your neighbour. It happens, people make mistakes ....... apparently only one guy didn't and the put him on a cross.

When migrating from ADSL to FTTC, the ONLY work that needs doing by OR, is at the Cab. Nothing needs to be done at the Exchange whatsoever. It is a simple case of the guy/gal got it wrong at the Cab.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 08:42:51 PM »

It happened to my brother once, his and a near neighbours got switched around - it made for some confused calls to start with. When you consider how many lines are in a cab it's not surprising a few get crossed.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Sheepie

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 08:44:01 PM »

OK thanks for the clarification.

people make mistakes, fair enough, but 3 days to fix the mistake is not good. This poor old lady is going to get calls she has no idea about. When I called her (my number!) she actually thought I was her son, it took me quite a while to convince her that I lived around the corner and she had my number. 

In the good old days, BT would have been on this within hours. Now I have to wait 3 days - and be at home for half the day or they may charge me :( I have better things to do than wait at home half a day because someone else made a mistake.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 08:45:46 PM »

Absolutely ^^^. The engineer will now receive an ELF (Early Life Failure) against him, as someone will have to go back and remedy the situation.

ELF's and Repeat Reports (RR's) ..... are 2 of the 4 big metrics we are measured on ...... Quality, Productivity, ELF's and RR's.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 08:49:53 PM »

people make mistakes, fair enough, but 3 days to fix the mistake is not good. This poor old lady is going to get calls she has no idea about. When I called her (my number!) she actually thought I was her son, it took me quite a while to convince her that I lived around the corner and she had my number. 

In the good old days, BT would have been on this within hours. Now I have to wait 3 days - and be at home for half the day or they may charge me :( I have better things to do than wait at home half a day because someone else made a mistake.

If the fault was raised as a 'XL' (Crossed Line), access to the premises wouldn't initially be required, and an appointment wouldn't be necessary.
The problem can (99% of the time) be completely resolved at the Cab unless the routing is incorrect and a tone-generator needs to be deployed at the EU's premises.

Un-appointed jobs could very easily be seen to quicker than appointed jobs, depending on the workstacks of the day in your locality ??

Sheepie

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 08:59:06 PM »

The place where my line now goes (assisted living) is direct opposite the Street Cab - apparently it happens quite a lot to them and they are not happy one little bit! You cannot blame them really when somebodies life depends on the landline.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 09:06:19 PM »

Ahh but now days we have this complex situation ofcom cooked up where we have extra red tape in place to keep certian CPs happy.

I remember back in 2000, my ADSL died, was a freeserve customer rang about sunday midday, by 4pm someone had gone to exchange and was fixed.  Obviously also in those days was no threats of charges, but somehow ofcom prefer the post openreach world.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 09:09:34 PM »

Yeah ...... that usually makes the story more impactful. If there's one thing I've heard a million times over it's 'It happens all the time' ..... yet our historic records show it doesn't ?? Strange eh.

The lifeline only needs a dialling tone to ring the monitoring centre, unless your circuit (which is now with your neighbour) is OCB (Outgoing Calls Barred), then somebody's life doesn't really depend on it.

It is an accident, there's nothing malicious gone on .......... let's not do a propaganda spin on it, eh.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 09:10:40 PM »

Chrys posted whilst I was typing. My reply above is to Sheepie's last comment.  :)

Sheepie

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 09:19:41 PM »

bit of expanding foam up the air vents might speed them along :P

Thing is, this is not my only line so I'm kinda lucky, I work from home and if it was my only line I would be well screwed - it would be costing be an awful lot in fuel and not to mention the rest of the family moaning about no internet!

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 09:24:09 PM »

Fair do's.   ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 01:22:30 AM »

I like my BT man. He came and sorted me out next day. After the surly man [possibly] broke my kit.

And now Mrs Weaver has a-réir coltais hooked him as a customer to come and stay with her (as she does B&B and self-catering accommodation). Which is brilliant, I think.

And last week they were out within a few hours on Monday morning when AA reported stuff to BT first thing. That was the week after a lightning strike. Could have been because I pay for enhanced TLC on that line.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 06:21:38 AM »

The thing is if a company makes a mistake it should be fixed ASAP,  not when they can fit it in.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 07:31:46 AM »

:wall: :wall: They will do, Ronski. It depends on how the fault is reported to us via ... a) The EU's description to their ISP and, b) The ISP's subsequent handling of this info.

Again, lets try not to make this into the biggie that it isn't.
Pages: [1] 2

anything