Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTP - An Update from Openreach  (Read 3558 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
FTTP - An Update from Openreach
« on: March 21, 2017, 07:23:02 AM »

FTTP now reaches almost 435,000 premises and the orders are flowing in

Less than a year ago, it was taking us an average of 50 days to provision Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) orders. That’s well over double the industry service level agreement (SLA) of 18 days. In some cases we had people waiting up to 200 days.

We knuckled down together to turn things around. We’ve started to change the way we work, introducing new tools and equipment. And with sheer bloody-mindedness, our Infrastructure Delivery team, CIO team, and chief engineer team have hammered average provision time down by 50% to just 21 days.
Not only that, but we’ve reduced the workstack and tails too – and our FTTP network availability is now at 99.5%. That means that when a customer wants to place an order, 99.5% of the time we’ve got the capacity ready and waiting to make it happen – and the processes and approach in place to deliver it fast.

We still have work to do to get to the industry standard of 18 days, but with big improvements planned over the next year, we’re confident our customers will soon notice the difference.

Kim Mears
MD, Infrastructure Delivery

displaced

• Reg Member
Re: FTTP - An Update from Openreach
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 08:05:59 AM »

This may be a daft question, but...

Does anyone know what, if any, slice of the high FTTP install/subscription cost is intended to suppress take-up in order to achieve this?

I suppose what I'm asking is, will the price come down to something reasonable for home users (think FTTC plus a premium) as OR's process improvements make provisioning faster and easier?  Or is it simply a case of FTTP being expensive because of its very nature?
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 08:18:59 AM »

Regular FTTP costs the same per month as FTTC for the same bandwidth. It might have a higher installation cost, but it's only about £50 extra, comparable to the old FTTC managed installation.

It's FTTPoD (FTTP on Demand) that costs vast amounts more.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 08:54:27 AM »

Tricky to know how to comment on this  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 09:10:29 AM »

Try a positive slant for a change, Ignition ................ go on, it'll make you feel better. Try it.  ;) ;D

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 09:24:05 AM »

Regular FTTP costs the same per month as FTTC for the same bandwidth. It might have a higher installation cost, but it's only about £50 extra, comparable to the old FTTC managed installation.

It's FTTPoD (FTTP on Demand) that costs vast amounts more.

Ah, of course -- understood.  I won't derail the thread with a moan about FTTPoD pricing :)
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 10:48:21 AM »

Yes pls.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 11:36:05 AM »

black sheep you welcome to trial FTTP at my property :)

Oldjim

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 11:45:49 AM »

is this relevant http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/15170069.Engineer_jobs_boost_for_Dorset/?ref=mr&lp=8
BT's Openreach division, which develops and maintains the UK's main telecoms network, wants to recruit 170 trainees in the South West including about 30 in Dorset, to help extend its fibre broadband network.

It is part of a UK-wide initiative to hire 1,500 trainee engineers over the next eight months. Openreach expects to recruit about 30 people in Dorset in locations such as Bournemouth, Poole, Dorchester and Blandford.
Jim
Plusnet

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 11:50:58 AM »

I think this is a good step. Building and extending the fibre network benefits everyone in the long run.

I know the one guy who recently become a boss there commenting about fibre and how BT/OR should have built more along the way. Hopefully this is the first effects of his influence and direction.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 11:59:02 AM »

You're next on my list ................................................ after my own house.  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 02:02:39 PM »

Is it the case that the performance limits on your average FTTP connection are to do with how much bandwidth you can get hold of at the cab and / or head end ? I just wonder where these random numbers like 330 Mbps or 1 Gbps come from ?

KIAB

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 02:13:43 PM »

'Ditto'  :D

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 02:32:11 PM »

Try a positive slant for a change, Ignition ................ go on, it'll make you feel better. Try it.  ;) ;D

Okay.

It's good to see the improvements in process. You're nearly at the same kind of standard the rest of the first world deploy FTTP in, having finally gotten over the obsession with splicing everything.

It's also good to see that the premises passed count has gone up.

However, I caveat that with that the majority of that 435,000 premises passed were done with public subsidy.

I am looking forward to seeing more commercial brownfield FTTP in our urban areas, rather than the current situation where most of Openreach's FTTP is in hamlets and villages through BDUK and other programmes.

I'm not going to say anything about trialling FTTP here. It won't be a trial and it should already be here, just as it should every other property built in the past decade that is fully ducted with swept tees. The costs Openreach have been claiming per premises passed are ridiculous in these areas, and while building cabinet-based G.fast may delay the expenditure there is no way that pushing G.fast deeper into the loop is going to be cheaper than getting on with FTTP, even in the medium term.

The existing DSLAMs can be retrofitted with multiple 10Gb backhauls and OLT cards. I'd like to see this happening going forwards.

There - some positivity.

anything