Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: G.Fast  (Read 1475 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
G.Fast
« on: March 21, 2017, 06:28:39 PM »

Is it alright if I get 3Mbps before you get 300Mbps? Please.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: G.Fast
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 07:22:11 PM »

Only if you move to a terraced street in Salford, and I'll have your vista.  ;) :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 07:25:17 PM »

Only if you move to a terraced street in Salford, and I'll have your vista.  ;) :)

I can just imagine you, in Weaver's current environment, up on the roof looking into the possibility of a LOS microwave link direct from the Broadford exchange roof . . .  :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 07:33:52 PM »

Ha ha ......... I have to admit (Ssh, don't tell Weaver  ;)), but once you experience a good FTTC connection rate, going backwards would feel hellish !!! :-X

I can use the extra bandwidth to project a 'Virtual vista' instead. <snigger snigger>.  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 07:38:45 PM »

@BlackSheep - sorry no deal, my friend. And I have two Vistas. (Actually I'm on Win7 now.)

But you can come and stay foc, just bring a big, fat, long reel of single-mode with you.

@Burakkucat - no line of sight. Been musing on that for a long time, would take at least two intermediate nodes to keep the height of structures down, as there is high ground to the north of us and the ground rises, then there is a relatively flat half mile if moor until you start to head downhill at the Fireach Clach (the hill of stones). Getting power to los dishes would be a pain. I wonder what they are like in heavy precipitation.

Sabhal Mór Ostaig, smo.uhi.ac.uk, where I was a student, uses (or used to) use a big fat microwave link on a tall mast pointing at the mainland (somewhere on the moor above Àrasaig) for their internet pipe, including all telephony. Don't know if they still do.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 07:49:14 PM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 07:55:00 PM »

The local SkyeNet network has a node in the village. It claims 5Mbps, will of course be contended, and is, I am told, liable to break when the weather is wild. Which does happen. The node here does not point to Broadford.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 08:06:32 PM »

@Burakkucat - no line of sight. Been musing on that for a long time, would take at least two intermediate nodes to keep the height of structures down, as there is high ground to the north of us and the ground rises, then there is a relatively flat half mile if moor until you start to head downhill at the Fireach Clach (the hill of stones). Getting power to los dishes would be a pain. I wonder what they are like in heavy precipitation.

Surely only one if you popped it on top of Beinn na Caillich  ;)

If you use the 3D view in google maps - Chrome works best, you can get an idea of the terrain.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 02:19:23 AM »

Can't see Beinn na Caillich, because Beinn nan Càrn and the high moor extending northwards from it block the line of sight. There's very high ground all the way round from west to north. Beinn na Caillich is enormous, and from the top you can see everything apart from us.

Two sea views: looking east to the Mainland mountains, and Beinn Sgritheall and Ladhar-Beinn, and the sea which is the Linne Shléibhteach, and looking to the south to Loch Eiseort and out to the south-west and the Atlantic to Eilean Rùma with its snowy mountains.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 02:31:24 AM »

This is the view to the North West, straight into the hillside, Beinn nan Càrn is off to the left. You can't see Beinn na Caillich even if you walk up on to the high moor unless you go right up to the top overlooking the next valley to the west, beyond Loch an Eilein on the very high ground - at the very least.

The bank in shot in the field is just a false summit, you have to climb that to be able to see the slopes of the high moors. A pond forms in the bottom of that bowl-shaped field whenever there is sustained heavy rain. They donkey stable is seen on the left. After sunset, sky is still bright, although this was a month after the longest day.

See
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 02:35:17 AM by Weaver »