Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Digital Switchover  (Read 19943 times)

dave.m

• Kitizen
Re: Digital Switchover
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2008, 12:02:52 AM »

I would be a bit wary of one that cheap. It should be OK but the rule of thumb is £20+ for a decent one.

Take a look at this:
http://tinyurl.com/4byar7

Others at Argos too and they will deliver so no need to get 'on yer bike'.
dave

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2008, 12:20:19 AM »

Good brand and also a good price and the spec also looks good. (I would buy it)

The only thing you need to check out is their definition of "Grade A product", could just be shop soiled or a previous customer return due to a fault that has since been rectified, or even a scratch of some type.

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2008, 02:19:55 AM »

I'm starting to think that Freesat is a better long-term bet than Freeview.

The rollout of Freeview has taken so long that the video standard (MPEG2) it transmits is pretty much obsolete. I don't see where they're going to get the additional bandwidth for HDTV (even with MPEG4) and frankly the whole exercise has been a poster child of how NOT to do this sort of thing.

We're having new soffits/bargeboards fitted this week and I was thinking it'd be an ideal time to upgrade the aerial. The thing is that the more I look at this, the more I think I'd be better buying a Freesat dish/box.

Probably not what Yorkie wanted to hear really :)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2008, 02:34:34 AM »

Not posted as a recommendation, just that I came across this site.

http://www.frequencycast.co.uk/freesat.html

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2008, 04:15:11 AM »

Yeah the main problem is the cost of the set-top box :(

The more I think about this, the more convinced I am that Freeview (DVB-T) isn't a viable long-term solution. Terrestrial bandwidth will always be more valuable and I think ultimately that'll be the end of Freeview. HDTV won't be possible without MPEG-4 compression which will mean everyone having to upgrade their boxes again. Let's not forget that Freeview is (at best) simply DVD-quality video and how long have DVD players been around for - 10 years or so? Its obsolete technology that by the time its completely rolled out will be 20 years old!

I need to read up a bit more on Freesat I think.

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2008, 04:57:56 PM »

The deed is done, I suggest everyone book their holidays now, delivery is anticipated for Wednesday, there may be a lot of questions ;D

rizla - if I was more of a television watcher, thats the route I would probably have taken, but I can go days without putting the television on - everythings on line, news, weather, newspapers etc.

Thanks everyone for your input.

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »

Oh I'm the same Yorkie. My TV viewing is almost exclusively via BBC IPlayer/online or downloads.

However other people in the house do watch live TV and I'm a typical man (takes me ages to start a job) so I'm thinking long-term here - we will have to replace the main telly this year or next so I don't see much point in having a high-definition TV when Freeview transmissions are only DVD quality (ITV is usually a LOT worse than DVD quality).

As the recession bites, prices will plummet anyway so no rush.....

Yorkie

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2008, 01:54:31 PM »

The good news is I have sound with set top box, the bad news is I have a rolling picture :cry2:

Looks as if I will need a new aerial. Its nearly there but just not quite.

Juggling with three remote controls, stb, tv and vcr is not easy either, its so long since I have used vcr I've forgotten how to use its remote :D

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2008, 01:59:30 AM »

Is the orientation of your tv aerial as near to horizontal/vertical as possible. also are all the elements straight and not bent. The most important one is toward the rear of the aerial where the cable would appear to link to,) (the driven element normaly directly in front of either a metal plate or a wider structure expanding out from the main form. any deviation in this part would be the most crutial in having any effect on the signal quality.

Also is the aerial pointing in the same direction as other aerials in your location as this is a good guide of the best reception quality you can recive.

And most importantly of all before tackeling any hands on adjustmnt of an aerial, are you absolutely sure you can access it and adjust it with the full confidence of your safety. If not then pass to professional. I couldn't stand Rod Hull as a performer But i wouldn't wish what happened on him or on any one else

Yorkie

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2008, 08:03:37 AM »

Good news I have a picture  :clap: Bad news what a load of rubbish.

After doing some googling suggestions were bad cabling, as it happened I had a spare scart lead from when I had Nicam vcr connected to Nicam tv (telly long gone, still have vcr) the cable on it is as thick as my little finger changed that with one supplied and problem solved.

Just found a channel to help rabbits find a mate - rabbit chat and date its called ;D

omg you can even gamble on the telly.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2008, 06:22:24 PM »

Rizla, and others, might be worthwhile reading this - BBC are starting fresh trials of HD TV under a new standard they are calling "DVB-T2" (sounds like a Hauppauge product line to me ;) ).

Might be worth a peek - unfortunately there isn't much (any?) information on the standard, but might be worthwhile looking up what this DVB-T2 is all about - it might be MPEG-4 based rather than the near-obsolete MPEG-2 standard currently used!
Chris

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2008, 12:58:08 AM »

Chris,
I found this interesting even if I did struggle to understand some of the finer details:
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/articles/DVB-T2-to-enable-HDTV-post-switchover.php
dave

Yorkie

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2008, 08:37:36 AM »

Not talking to you two now. :D
You really know how to depress someone.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2008, 09:33:11 AM »

Don't let 'em grind you down Yorkie. You've got a working Freeview system and it didn't cost you an arm and a leg. :thumbs:
  Eric

Yorkie

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2008, 10:34:46 AM »

Yes you are quite right I do tend to veer into the 'glass half empty camp'.

If anyone else is reading this, just for information, I have a bog standard aerial, replaced about fifteen years ago when the other one fell off its mast and was hanging by the cable, still got a good picture though. The picture I'm getting is good, no break ups, just the odd stutter in sound, well two occassions of about half a second duration. Although the aerial is pointed at Emley Moor, which is near Huddersfield I think, certainly in the West Riding the back of it points to Bilsdale which is heading out towards Newcastle and the scanner has picked that up to.

So if your dithering (I'm a great ditherer) but are getting good analogue signal now, go for it. There's plenty of help out there.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4