Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Digital Switchover  (Read 20708 times)

Re: Digital Switchover
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2008, 10:11:48 AM »

Just remembered, you can check digital freeview availability by putting your postcode and house number in at http://www.freeview.co.uk to see how good the signal is there - that should tell you what you might get. Tells me I should be able to get them all - which I can!

IMHO that site is as reliable as measuring the signal strength by holding up a wet finger ;)

Yorkie - UKTV History is only good for the first 6 months. Then everything repeats - really. Oh yes and there's less and less "history" on there as time goes by - a typical day will have 50% of some drama which, if you're lucky, has a tenuous link to history. Think pap like Sharpe here ;) Everything decent that's ever been shown on UKTV History is on usenet/P2P anyway - I got The World At War from usenet for example.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2008, 11:11:43 AM »

>> UKTV History is only good for the first 6 months. Then everything repeats

I remember that a few years ago there used to be a satellite channel called Einstein.tv which I found really interesting when I first encountered it. But I soon realised that they only had about 20 programmes which they endlessly recycled. Strangely that channel didn't last very long.
  Eric

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2008, 11:41:29 AM »

It's a bit like the Birdsong DAB radio channel.  Apparently they only have one 20 minute loop of recorded birdsong which they play 24/7, but strangely it's becoming one of the most popular channels.  Better than all those DJ's twittering away I suppose.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2008, 11:46:16 AM »

IMHO that site is as reliable as measuring the signal strength by holding up a wet finger ;)

Lol - I guess it probably calculates distance from the transmitter in order to give you a guess as to wha might be available. I dunno - guess if you're not stuck in a valley or something, or there's not a large mountain in your way, then I guess it's better than nothing!
Chris

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2008, 12:13:48 PM »

Floydoid 
I found the Birdsong, it replaced OneWord I think, which closed, another one I came across was a British Forces Broadcast again replacing a closed station, always pays to do a rescan now and again on the DAB radio.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2008, 01:39:24 PM »

>> UKTV History is only good for the first 6 months. Then everything repeats

I remember that a few years ago there used to be a satellite channel called Einstein.tv which I found really interesting when I first encountered it. But I soon realised that they only had about 20 programmes which they endlessly recycled. Strangely that channel didn't last very long.

Didn't you know that it changed it's name to Virgin Media.
And is only good for the first 1 month week 24 hours. Then everything repeats

When they feel like it, they give you another channel called  xxx +1 which is as it sounds the same channel but one hour later.

But, when they give you something somewhere, then they usually end-up taking something off you elsewhere, which is usually your favourite channel.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 01:41:46 PM by oldfogy »

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2008, 03:51:57 PM »

Floydoid 
I found the Birdsong, it replaced OneWord I think, which closed, another one I came across was a British Forces Broadcast again replacing a closed station, always pays to do a rescan now and again on the DAB radio.

I must admit I don't rescan my DAB very often... I tend to flip between Gold and Talksport which are next to each other.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008, 07:51:15 AM »

I'm a digital virgin  :baby:  don't want it, don't like it etc.  Won't get on my soapbox here but suffice to say I hate being bulldozed into summat I don't want, think they have a ruddy cheek to force it on us  >:(  Sky picture pixillates a lot and when it rains on the dish there's no signal... brilliant isn't it - not!

from a Grumpy Old Woman - snarl
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

J.Man

• Reg Member
  • When PC's couldnt get any worse there came Vista
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2008, 08:32:20 PM »

If your looking for a good Digital set-up I would reccomend an Outdoor aerial with a signal amplifier and watch out for those cheapo freeview boxes anything above £20 but below £45 will do but I went for a HD box which will set you back £120 for a basic one and £200 for one that records to a HDD like SKy or VM. Did that help ??  :)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2008, 02:47:07 AM »

What I would like to know is why our government has not acted the same as the American government, and that is to issue "everyone" with vouchers toward the purchase of a digi box regardless of age.

This is something that is being forced upon us, we did not ask for it and should therefore be entitled to the same.

I know there are some T&Cs, such as those people who "declare" that they already have cable do not qualify. Although as no one comes to check what you have, or not as the case may be, everyone I know of has received the vouchers.

OK, if I remember correctly the vouchers are worth about $60.00 and digi box's are from $45.00 upward in the states.

To me this just smacks of our government ripping us off again and raking in the VAT and tax's on something like 4,000,000 (4m) sales of either new TV's or digi box's.

Yorkie

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2008, 09:14:24 PM »

I'm back, be afraid, very afraid - the time is fast approaching, like next Tuesday, :clap: when I'm off till the end of August and the credit card gets a hammering 'cos I'm at home waiting for all those lovely deliveries.

So first thing is, I've seen this on Maplin

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=223961&doy=29m6#download

and these
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=46229&doy=29m6
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=99678&doy=29m6

which are confusing me (nothing new there then) because one is in aerials and one is in antennas

any thoughts would be most appreciated.

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2008, 10:25:59 PM »

any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Yeah.
Forget the lot. Eco friendly my anorack!
Get to Asda and buy one of their set top boxes with TWO Scart outlets (one to the telly and one to the video, to use before changeover).
Unless you can see the transmitter mast, then at the moment the digi signal may not be strong enough for an indoor aerial and you do not know whether, after changeover when the signal power will be increased, it will be strong enough then. You obviously have a telly and aerial at the moment so, if you get a decent picture on the main terrestrial channels you will be OK for digital with a freeview box.
dave

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2008, 10:40:26 PM »

Absolutely right Dave.
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2008, 11:42:40 PM »

Yeah.
.... Eco friendly my anorack!

Here Here.

If you're getting a good signal at the moment, then there is no reason why this will degrade with installing a set-top-box.

Yorkie

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2008, 11:52:12 PM »

Damned if I'm biking 3 miles to Asda and back, thats what grumpy delivery drivers are for ;D

Okay ditch indoor aerial/antenna thing, what about this one

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/139533

Its the BBC's fault, they keep telling me to press the red button when I'm watching the tennis and I keep telling them I haven't got one, or words to that effect.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4