Announcements > News Articles

Openreach Sets UK G.fast Broadband ISP Fault Threshold at 100Mbps

(1/4) > >>

Bowdon:
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/03/openreach-sets-uk-g-fast-broadband-isp-fault-threshold-100mbps.html

--- Quote ---A few more details have leaked out today about Openreach’s (BT) new 330Mbps capable G.fast (ITU G.9700/9701) broadband technology, which among other things reveals that ISPs will be able to raise a fault if a customer’s line speed drops below a threshold of 100Mbps.

At present Openreach is currently expanding their G.fast pilot to cover 138,000 premises at up to 17 UK locations by the end of March 2017. You can find more details about this technology in our previous articles (examples here and here), although assuming all goes to plan then 10 million UK premises should be reached by 2020 and possibly many more by 2025, when the top speed might also be raised to 500Mbps.

However this pilot has also triggered the release of a lot more detail about the service and as a result it’s finally becoming easier to get answers to some of our longest held questions, not least of which is how Openreach plans to handle faults and at which point a line could be considered to be running too slowly (faulty).
--- End quote ---

Sounds good.. now lets get G.fast released :)

ejs:
I thought 100Mbps would need to be your minimum G.fast estimated speed for you to order G.fast.

--- Quote from: Openreach R3450 EIP3 ---G.fast LD: Reject order if range bottom <100Mbps
--- End quote ---

Chrysalis:
If thats a fixed non variable threshold it is potentially very low compared to the speeds capable.  Are they ditching the other metrics that are used to indicate if a fault is investigated?

Ronski:
Well the article does say the following.

--- Quote ---    G.fast Fault Thresholds

* If the speed falls below 100Mbps.

* If the speed falls below the Point of Sale forecast by Openreach’s eMLC [Enhanced Managed Line Characteristics] system.

* If the speed drops by more than 30% from the line rate they received when it was installed.
--- End quote ---

So make sure your the first, and you get proof of speed received  ;)

Bowdon:
I'm right on the 500 metre limit.. google maps says I'm 0.3 miles away from the cabinet.. but if I use a convertion website and put in 0.32 miles then I'm over the 500

To be honest I can see G.fast being considered a flop initially because its not going to have the impact with the public that BT/OR are building it up to be. The main people who should have benefitted from G.fast was those over 500m using pods.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version