Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Need recommendation for a new combined modem/router  (Read 2700 times)

dorzb

Need recommendation for a new combined modem/router
« on: January 19, 2018, 12:20:39 PM »

Hi,

I’m new here and need some advice from experienced users. I’m currently using a HH5 (the one that supports BT Sports UHD), which is about 2 years old. I noticed it’s started to reboot itself every few weeks.
 I used to get 76Mb download speed but lately it’s reduced to 56Mb. I can see my sync rate is still 79999Kb but speed test result is always about 56Mb. Should I replace it with a 3rd party router? My cabinet is a Huawei one so I guess a BCM chipset router would be a better choice? I don’t have too much budget on this. Found some used/new ZyXEL VMG8324-B10A on the auction site. Is it good for BT Sports UHD?

Thanks in advance.

bilbokitz

• Reg Member
Re: Need recommendation for a new combined modem/router
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 01:20:04 PM »

Have a read through this http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html

People on here seem to say good things about Zyxel.
Alcatel Cab 200/20 Vectored VDSL 35b - Technicolor DGA4130 Bridged + Asus RT-AC86U Asuswrt-Merlin

dorzb

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 01:55:04 PM »

Thanks for the heads up. Will look into it

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 03:54:49 PM »

If your present modem is connecting at 79999 then no replacement is going to make it any faster. What you need to do is work out why the throughput speed is a lot less. It's nothing to do with modem chipsets. If you are measuring the download speed over a WiFi connection, then that's probably the cause, and you may be able to improve it with a different router, or by some repositioning. But if your budget is limited, I doubt if any of the cheaper modem/routers will have better WiFi.
  Eric

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 04:52:18 PM »

If your line is on a Huawei cabinet (DSLAM) and DS G.Inp has been applied (is by default) chances are that you will be on retx high profile which will result in up to 91% data throughput ratio, that will certainly account for some of your data speed loss with respect to your DS synch speed but would not account entirely for the loss you quote.

Unfortunately, your HH5 (assuming it's the "A" model) won't give detailed stat's information to determine your retx high/low profile, another good reason for changing to something like the ZyXEL router you have in mind.
Don't know of any reason why this would not work with BT Sports UHD service although I do not have any personal experience of this as such.

Have you checked your BTw BRAS profile, run BTw performance tester and proceed to further diagnostics.
Don't use Firefox browser to test, this gives incorrect speed readings, known issue.

It will be very difficult for any of the forum members to offer any detailed diagnosis on your line performance without detailed router stat's, not really available from a HH5a.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

dorzb

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 05:01:10 PM »

Wow, thanks so much for your input! Will try your suggestion first. Really appreciate!

pooclah

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 06:57:20 PM »

If you decide to replace the HH5 with another modem/router first do some research on YouView compatibility.  Take a look at this for example http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15784

Edited to remove speed reading mistake.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 07:41:33 PM by pooclah »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 07:20:55 PM »

@pooclah: the OP hasn't got a loss of sync speed, it's a loss of download speed.
  Eric

anything