Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How many people here are connected to a ECI cabinet?  (Read 8986 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
How many people here are connected to a ECI cabinet?
« on: March 18, 2017, 11:51:16 AM »

As the good news comes in for the Huawei cabinet people, we ECI people are like the outcast child who gets no presents from uncle BT/OR. "No G.INP or 3dB SNR for you today" we hear :(

So how many people are there on ECI cabinets? We know that ECI cabinets were stopped being installed quite a while ago, so I'm assuming ECI cabinets will be less than 50%. But I wonder if there is an actual figure for the number of ECI's compared to Huawei cabinets?

If you're not sure then you can use Kitz page: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/cabinet-lookup.htm and follow the instructions to see which cabinet type your on.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
Re: How many people here are connected to a ECI cabinet?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 12:02:38 PM »

Hi Bowdon,

ECI Cabinet here, in sunny Weston-super-Mare, Somerset. I was told by a REAL BTOR engineer that my property is approximately 700 metres from that cabinet. Not looking good for me, methinks
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 12:31:31 PM »

Eci cab in Frome. Its been repaired recently with new cables and cards after it was suggested it was going to be replaced but sadly in the end it was not. All of Frome are ECI cabs bar 2 huawei funded ones.

Its simply not fair that we pay the same yet we currently dont get the same benefits as huawei users. Lets hope OR come good eventually with ECI cabs......

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 12:39:04 PM »

Me and probably most others in Thanet as we have ECI cabinets, so Ronski is likely another one.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 01:35:41 PM »

I have always believed it to be about 1/3 of, with 100% of BDUK been hauwei.

The rollout started as hauwei, then moved to ECI after a while, when openreach announced they were considering vectoring it then shifted back to hauwei for the final 3rd.

rpdmallett

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 01:38:32 PM »

"We know that ECI cabinets were stopped being installed quite a while ago" - mine is a new ECI cabinet, installed early January this year.

I was the first connection to it.  Am suffering from extremely poor upstream bandwidth (old 0xd086 firmware), but otherwise ok. 

daveesh1

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 02:19:49 PM »

I am an ECI in Kettering installed end of 2012. All new cabinets done are well I don't have to say lucky people

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 02:57:34 PM »

Thinkbroadband recently estimated that ECI cabinets account for 6.3% of those installed under BDUK and 42% of commercial cabinets

That is interesting. So based on that nearly half of BT/OR's network can't support the upgrades they are doing.

I think they need to figure out some kind of solution for the ECI situation. I know my area is all ECI's until the most recent cabinet from BDUK was a Huawei. So if other towns are similar to mine that means whole areas are covered by ECI cabinets, i.e. not even an equal mix.

I think BT/OR are going to run in to a marketing issue if they start broadcasting about 3dB and G.INP at any major point because large numbers of customers won't benefit at all.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 03:07:42 PM »

We need G.INP resolved first then hopefully we can have lower snr profiles. Its all gone very quiet on G.INP though, originally April was supposed to be the re-introduction so we will have to wait and see what happens...

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 03:08:35 PM »

Unfortunately large numbers don't have a clue, it's a very small minority of us that know what the difference is, or even care.

Pretty much all the cabinets around Thanet are ECI, except the BDUK one's and the very recent second cab additions.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 06:01:41 PM »

On an ECI in Marple, Stockport.  Fortunately it's located the other side of our front garden wall, so no real negative impact for us.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

wj66

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 06:40:47 PM »

ECI cabinet here in rainy Settle North Yorkshire, line length 350mts, Down Stream: 48570Kbps / Up Stream: 18565Kbps, aluminium cable.
John
Plusnet Broadband 40/10, Zyxel VMG8924-B10A, Synology RT2600ac, Synology Mesh, ECI Cabinet.

smallal

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 07:55:15 PM »

Mostly ECI cabinets here in Grays, Essex, including some that were only installed in 2016.
However, in Dec 2016 I lost my broadband, a peek across the road showed my ECI box's innards laid out neatly on the pavement.
I asked the Openreach guy what the problem was and he said he was 'updating' the box which required a board change.
On completion my down speed DROPPED by 4Mbps with the same S/N of 6.2db, it's never recovered.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 08:07:28 PM »

However, in Dec 2016 I lost my broadband, a peek across the road showed my ECI box's innards laid out neatly on the pavement.

There's never an out-of-control, steam-powered, road-roller nearby when one wants one . . .  :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2017, 08:18:23 PM »

Still waiting for the lidl's truck to flatten mine on the side of the loading bay but no luck yet... :D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 08:32:00 PM by skyeci »
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything