Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Adva FSP150CP Manual Required  (Read 36900 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Adva FSP150CP Manual Required
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 10:15:09 PM »

No worries.  :)

Perhaps later this week, when Black Sheep needs to visit the exchange at Little Mucking By the Marsh, he might come across a printed copy of the manual (without front & rear covers) and with the name Arnold P. Higginbottom written on the first page. (Arnold, who retired 4 years ago, can still be remembered at the exchange due to his pipe regularly ejecting clinker wherever he went . . . )
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 10:37:49 PM »

If I am not mistaken, here is the "big brother" that featured in the Openreach video --

Adva FSP150CM

"Buy it now" at £48-99 plus £6-99 delivery.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2017, 11:34:25 PM »

In one of those "not thinking about it" moments I had an idea.

Supposing the SFP optical transceiver was removed from the "Network" A interface position and then the FSP150CP was powered on. Would it then go into configuration mode, automagically?  :-\

The answer is no.  :no:  :(

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2017, 03:11:49 PM »

If I am not mistaken, here is the "big brother"

An expensive way to find out that the space bar doesn't work there either.

Have you thought about going back to the seller, and asking?  :angel:

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2017, 03:25:38 PM »

Looking back at my original posts, I also note that "root" comes capitalised in one place. Did you try both styles?

Another thing also occurred to me....
a) This might be a BT special, where the boot process has been deliberately made unhackable
b) The Openreach video (and other documents) suggests that the management port gets connected to a DSL router.

The latter provides an out-of-band back-channel to manage the router ... suggesting that BT might have always remained in control of the router ... therefore setting the password themselves. It might not be an unchanged password at all.

This might need a brute-force password tool.
PM on way...

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2017, 05:58:30 PM »

Have you thought about going back to the seller, and asking?  :angel:

The vendor was not the last user and did not have ". . . the manual provided."

Looking back at my original posts, I also note that "root" comes capitalised in one place. Did you try both styles?

Yes, indeed.

Another thing also occurred to me....
a) This might be a BT special, where the boot process has been deliberately made unhackable
b) The Openreach video (and other documents) suggests that the management port gets connected to a DSL router.

We have had similar thoughts.

Looking carefully, and critically, at that Openreach video we can see that two minor variants of the FSP150CP are shown . . . one with just a DE9 male socket for the serial management interface (visible at 2m 14s, for example) and another that has the DE9 male socket for the serial management interface, also two RJ45 sockets (one a serial console port, the second an Ethernet LAN management port). (Visible at 3m 23s, for example.)

The latter provides an out-of-band back-channel to manage the router ... suggesting that BT might have always remained in control of the router ... therefore setting the password themselves. It might not be an unchanged password at all.

This might need a brute-force password tool.
PM on way...

Thank you.  :)

My feeling is sight of the relevant Adva manual would be helpful.

[Edited to change the incorrect DB9 to the correct DE9, in two places.]
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 12:23:46 AM by burakkucat »

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2017, 01:09:11 AM »

If you plug the access port into a switch, can you figure out an IP address, and see if it has a management console on port 80?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2017, 01:56:42 AM »

If you plug the access port into a switch, can you figure out an IP address, and see if it has a management console on port 80?

I shall have to try that . . . Thank you for the suggestion.

My initial attempt to gain access was to connect the Ethernet port of my laptop computer directly to the access port with a standard patch cable. Electrically, nothing registered and so I was unable to "up" the laptop's Ethernet port.

Perhaps I could use one of the spare modem/routers that are stashed in "The Grotto" as a convenient four-port switch with an internal DHCP server. Hmm . . .

[Digression. If it proves possible to configure and thus re-purpose these Adva devices, I can see one immediate use-case with Weaver on the Isle of Skye. A short while ago we were discussing the method of extending his LAN to some outbuildings and came to the conclusion that a fibre-optic link would be the most appropriate method.]

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2017, 04:55:24 PM »

Not possessing a switch (neither managed nor unmanaged) I decided to make use of a NetGear DG834Gv5.

The DG834G was (already) configured to use the 192.168.1.254 IPv4 address and its DHCP server hands out addresses in the range 64 - 253.

With a the Ethernet Access port (the user's side) of the FSP150CP connected to the LAN1 port of the DG834G with a standard Ethernet patch cable, a computer was likewise connected to the LAN3 port of the DG834G.

The DG834G, the computer and finally the FSP150CP were powered up (in the order mentioned). The well-recognised power-on boot-sequence of the FSP150CP was displayed via the Serial Management interface and the Login prompt appeared.

The computer had obtained the 192.168.1.64 IPv4 address from the DG834G's DHCP server. From the computer's CLI an nmap scan was performed --

nmap -n 192.168.0.0/16

Upon completion, the scan just showed the presence of the computer (at 192.168.1.64) and the DG834G (at 192.168.1.254). Not being able to remember the other private IPv4 address blocks, the experiment was terminated.

Having now checked, I see that the three private IPv4 address blocks are --

10.0.0.0/8
172.16.0.0/12
192.168.0.0/16

And when checking in "The Grotto", I found a Watchfont WF1740 FireBrick 105. So further experiments will be performed, later.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 05:33:05 PM by burakkucat »

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2017, 05:27:49 PM »

The Ethernet port would normally be connected to the internal comms network (DCN) in order for it to be remotely managed by an element manager, it it is highly likely to have an adress in the 10.0.0.0/8 subnet. Without an element manager, I'm not sure what, if anything, you will be able to achieve on the interface. The local craft terminal access should still be available to use in cases of comms failure but it would appear that changing the default username and password is a one-way street.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2017, 05:58:30 PM »

Another one of those sudden thoughts has just occurred . . .

The Serial Management port is a 9 pin connector (correctly DE-9 not DB-9) of which only three are apparently being used --
  • Pin 2 RxD
  • Pin 3 TxD
  • Pin 5 Signal ground
Would the strapping of pins 1, 4, 6, 7, 8 and 9 be the "magic" required to interrupt the boot sequence and, thus, be a way to reset the FSP150CP to its default configuration?  :-\

Another experiment is duly planned.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2017, 12:33:30 AM »

With regards to ". . . the manual provided", I have seen hints that such documentation is actually provided as PDF file(s) on a CD-ROM.

An example of something similar to what I seek is shown in the image, below. (Fresh, un-licked, kitteh biscuits are available to whosoever can share a copy of the CD-ROM that bears the legend "FSP 150CP Product Line . . .".  ;)  )

jammydodger31

• Just arrived
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2017, 02:47:23 PM »

Did you have any luck digging up the manual for this device? I'm in the same position as you, no matter what I try I cannot log onto it. Apparently ADVA have an agreement with BT that they will not distribute the documentation without BT's consent  :(

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2017, 05:43:31 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum. :)

Did you have any luck digging up the manual for this device?

No. I've not been able to track down a copy.  :no:

Apparently ADVA have an agreement with BT that they will not distribute the documentation without BT's consent  :(

That is interesting. But not too surprising . . . knowing the modus operandi of Beattie Bellman . However it rubbishes Adva's claim to being a "green company", one who does everything to ensure that all of its products are reused or recycled once the equipment's original use purpose is no longer required.  :-\  :-X

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2017, 10:54:47 PM »

Earlier today I received a note enclosing the URL to an image on eBay. When downloaded, trimmed, enhanced and viewed at its natural resolution some interesting information can be seen.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything