Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Workplace networking issues  (Read 2142 times)

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
Workplace networking issues
« on: February 18, 2017, 11:34:52 AM »

I work at a remote location and I would really like to understand why our connection is so bad at times, here is a pathping to our proxy server, can I tell anything from it? Our IT dept is, er, generally unresponsive.

I have removed actual IP addresses and replaced them with letters but there seems to be block of four 10.x.x.x addresses in amongst the "normal IP addresses" - aren't those internal LAN reserved addresses? Does that mean traffic goes through the internet, back through a LAN and then back out again, that seems weird.

They appear to have 100% packet loss, that can't be good can it? Does it indicate congestion?

I think I might be a nightmare IT support client, I always want to understand WHY.  At least I always turn it off and back on again before I raise a support ticket. :P

Pfft

Chunks

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Re: Workplace networking issues
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 01:10:06 PM »

Hi chunkers

Sorry, there is not enough information to help but I'll guess

If I understand correctly, your office is remote connected, so the 10. will most likely be vpn tunnel or internal systems which are set not to respond to you

Your latency looks ok

What is your issue your experiencing

Many thanks

John

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 02:08:39 PM »

Hi chunkers

Sorry, there is not enough information to help but I'll guess

If I understand correctly, your office is remote connected, so the 10. will most likely be vpn tunnel or internal systems which are set not to respond to you

Your latency looks ok

What is your issue your experiencing

Many thanks

John

Don't worry about it, I was having a bad day earlier, lol

It's inconsistent and varies from entirely acceptable to driving me MAD, tbh I shouldn't have bothered you guys with it, but it was going through a bad patch this morning and I had too much coffee.... hehe

The worst aspect of it is that my laptop seems to have little hiccups when connected, I'll be typing something and the letters will stop appearing on the screen, and then things will freeze, pause .....  unfreeze and the words magically appear. It's maddening.... the same thing happens in applications as well, everything seems to freeze and then restart .....

Access to anything not local on the network is sometimes almost impossible and then sometimes OK -   I mean things like Business Skype just don't work, BBC news website can take 5 minutes to load. As for streaming anything, Videoconferences, forget it.

Most of us expats at site have bought wifi dongles and local phone SIM's and we just use the local phone network 3g which is surprisingly good considering the fact that we are in the Eastern Sahara.

Ironically my personal mobile voice and data connection is far better here than at my house in Worcestershire!

Very nice of you to try and help though  :thumbs:  I'll have a lie down in a darkened room later an will be fine. Our IT support :

EDIT : I never thought about the VPN thing, that makes sense.

Chunks

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 06:30:19 PM »

Inconsistent performance over VPN could be MTU issues.  VPN adds additional headers to each packet, meaning that the packet size entering the VPN is limited to lower than normal size.  I've seen some funnies.

anything