Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Throughput issue on Plusnet  (Read 3408 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
Throughput issue on Plusnet
« on: March 12, 2017, 03:57:45 PM »

Hi

Ive been live for 3 months with plusnet using their Hub One and for the most part its not bad... but I have been having annoying issues and plusnet dont seem bothered about it at all, refusing to even intervene on my thread asking for help for months now on their forums (although they are quick to edit my posts!)... i see other people on their forum with similar issue..

what happens is anywhere from 4-21 days my throughput drops from the 37.5Mbps I get from the 40Mbps sync to around 20-24Mbps throughput from the same 40Mbp sync, ive noticed that when this happens the MAX RATE also has dipped from 69MB to circa 63-65MB - the fix is to either reboot the hub OR log in and force a disconnect and reconnect, when I do either the hub is back on with the 69MB max rate, 40MB sync is still the same and the throughput is back up to 37Mbps...??

Iam using latest fw in Hub One and connected to an ECI DSLAM, after reading other peoples issues on their forums im convinced the issue is related to using Hub One and/or on an ECI cab

can anyone help with this?  I cant afford £100 for new router to fix Plusnets issues

thanks
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Throughput issue on Plusnet
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 04:22:13 PM »

Are you using a direct connection or WiFi?
  Eric

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 04:25:02 PM »

I don't have any PlusNet-related expertise nor experience with this kit, I’m afraid. If you are sufficiently fed up, then there is a way out. Fix your problem or your money back:
    https://aa.net.uk/broadband-trial.html

BigJ

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 05:10:05 PM »

I'm with plusnet and had some problems about 2-3 years. I had random periods (can't remember how long) where my upload and download speeds would crash. I used BT's speedcheck to get some stats to send to plusnet when I noticed an option for an additional "TAP3" test. This only appears if the first two tests are bad. I assume this test bypasses plusnet as I needed to disconnect my PPPoE connection and use a BT user account.

These TAP3 tests maybe enough to convince plusnet. I've attached two screen shots.

EDIT: url

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 05:25:13 PM »

Hi

Hi

Ive been live for 3 months with plusnet using their Hub One and for the most part its not bad... but I have been having annoying issues and plusnet dont seem bothered about it at all, refusing to even intervene on my thread asking for help for months now on their forums (although they are quick to edit my posts!)... i see other people on their forum with similar issue..

what happens is anywhere from 4-21 days my throughput drops from the 37.5Mbps I get from the 40Mbps sync to around 20-24Mbps throughput from the same 40Mbp sync, ive noticed that when this happens the MAX RATE also has dipped from 69MB to circa 63-65MB - the fix is to either reboot the hub OR log in and force a disconnect and reconnect, when I do either the hub is back on with the 69MB max rate, 40MB sync is still the same and the throughput is back up to 37Mbps...??

Iam using latest fw in Hub One and connected to an ECI DSLAM, after reading other peoples issues on their forums im convinced the issue is related to using Hub One and/or on an ECI cab

can anyone help with this?  I cant afford £100 for new router to fix Plusnets issues

thanks

First of all PlusNet like the vast majority of ISPs sell a contended service, this means you are never guaranteed to get the maximum speed your line might allow as bandwidth is shared, it's a question of economics and for the money PlusNet charge they can't give everyone a service where you get maximum speeds all the time.

PlusNet are at the cheap end I'm afraid, and they are constantly running their network at the maximum capacity possible and constantly tweaking this or that.  I suspect when you are disconnecting and reconnecting you are connecting to a different gateway that just happens to have a bit less congestion, then over the course of a few days that gateway gets more than it's fair share of connections and you find disconnecting and connecting back to a different gateway resolves the speed issues.  This gateway shuffle to get good speeds again is the hall mark of PlusNet, it's been going on for years.

PlusNet are not bothered about fixing the problem simply because that's how they want to run their network.

Your only options are to leave and join a more expensive ISP that offers a better service, you get what you pay for.

Regards

Phil

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 03:42:51 AM »

Contended or not they sell a service if throughput is so dire at peak times that you are seeing ADSL2+ speeds then there is a serious issue, be that with -net's kit or BTW's Svlan or another part of their network, The idea behind the TAP3 test is to provide some form of evidence  that is needed to progress this with BTW,  no doubt BTW will try and sell  -net a SFI visit , instead of escalating to the people who deal with svlan's ect, Very unlikely an engineer will be of any use as it ain't a line fault

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 12:54:59 PM »

Hi

Contended or not they sell a service if throughput is so dire at peak times that you are seeing ADSL2+ speeds then there is a serious issue, be that with -net's kit or BTW's Svlan or another part of their network, The idea behind the TAP3 test is to provide some form of evidence  that is needed to progress this with BTW,  no doubt BTW will try and sell  -net a SFI visit , instead of escalating to the people who deal with svlan's ect, Very unlikely an engineer will be of any use as it ain't a line fault

It's the way it is, and their speeds are dropping to around 20-24Mbps, that's not exactly dire and not many on ADSL2+ have ever had those speeds :-).  We all know this is a contended service, and that PlusNet are prone to constant speed issues that ebb and flow with their customer churn and latest special offers more than other ISPs.  I left them years ago for all the same problems and slow downs when I was on just ADSL upto 8Meg, it never changes.  When you buy cheap you get cheap.

Regards

Phil

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 10:57:18 PM »

Hi

It's the way it is, and their speeds are dropping to around 20-24Mbps, that's not exactly dir e and not many on ADSL2+ have ever had those speeds :-). We all know this is a contended service, and that PlusNet are prone to constant speed issues that ebb and flow with their customer churn and latest special offers more than other ISPs. I left them years ago for all the same problems and slow downs when I was on just ADSL upto 8Meg, it never changes. When you buy cheap you get cheap.

Regards

Phil
If i were paying them for an 80/20 ( up to 76/18mbps) service then that is what would expect 24/7 and if they refused to sort out the reason for the poor performance, i would take it up with their ADR and request a refund, and then migrate to a real ISP,
I have had VDSL2 80/20 for nearly 4 yrs
I used to be a -net customer, And soon after my 18mths min term was up i migrated to Zen, And the performance has been better, and on those occasions when there have been throughput issues (BTW SVLAN overloaded or approaching utilisation limits causing poor throughput at /during evening peak times, Zen got these issues resolved in a reasonable timeframe, unlike -net who did nothing And at their current price of £22.49 per month, there isn't a great different in price between the 2 providers So not cheap enough to be excused from failing to provide a decent service

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 08:13:56 AM »

Hi

I think you will find the terms and conditions state you can not expect 80/20 24/7 with any ISP.  Businesses pay thousands of pounds a month for a non contended connection, so how any ISP can provide that at around £25.00 a month I don't know, and you only have to look at Thinkbroadbands stats they publish where slow downs during peak periods are experienced by many regardless of ISP.  Zen also have slow downs reported, either caused by their own network or BT's wider network as no part of it is designed to offer 1:1 connections to domestic users.

I think BT only guarantee 15Mbps on FTTC, we are lucky that usually everyone has spare capacity and not everyone is online at the same time or downloading Gigs of data.

Whilst PlusNets normal prices may not differ too much to other ISPs, that's ignoring the constant churn of customers that PlusNet have where new customers join on various special offers with a much reduced price, this is funded by running the network at 100% capacity and those users who are outside of their special offer period.

I agree it's worth complaining to PlusNet though.

Regards

Phil

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 10:32:02 AM »

whilst they BT may only guarantee an unacceptable 15 Mbps they do consider less than 40mbps to be an issue and will investigate and also fix throughput issues , if the ISP pushes them , Minus-net don't appear to do this,
Also how traffic gets routed to the speedster can affect throughput, sometimes that can lie outside the ISP's control, such as peering links, And is why speed testing to several different sources is more reliable than to only one source
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 10:50:22 PM by tommy45 »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 03:46:25 PM »

You do realise that by  referring to plusnet as -net people searching for info on Plusnet won't find it and therefore won't see the negatives your mentioning  ;)
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 10:50:56 PM »

You do realise that by  referring to plusnet as -net people searching for info on Plusnet won't find it and therefore won't see the negatives your mentioning  ;)
Fixed the last one :)

anything