Announcements > News Articles

Ofcom and BT Reach Voluntary Agreement on Openreach’s Future

(1/3) > >>

Bowdon:
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/03/ofcom-bt-reach-voluntary-agreement-openreachs-uk-future.html

--- Quote ---After an exhausting year of disagreements it’s today been announced that BT and the UK telecoms regulator have finally reached an agreement on the future of the operator’s network access division, which means that Ofcom won’t need to force through Openreach’s “legal separation“.

The situation began last February after Ofcom published their Strategic Review, which aimed to build a new framework for the next decade of telecoms and broadband regulation in the United Kingdom. The review noted that Openreach still had an “incentive to make decisions in the interests of BT, rather than BT’s competitors, which can lead to competition problems” and that the BT had failed to “sufficiently” consult rival ISPs, such as those that piggyback off their network, on future “investment plans that affect them.”

Openreach was also accused of having under-invested in its network to the tune of “hundreds of millions of pounds“. The newly appointed chairman of Openreach, Mike McTighe, recently appeared to support this claim by agreeing that the operator should have invested more into their national infrastructure.
--- End quote ---

I thought a lot of this was being done anyways. I guess the sticking point was the pensions.

We'll see how all this goes.

GigabitEthernet:
Good is all I can say.

Bowdon:
This quote from VM give me a chuckle.. but not in they want;

--- Quote ---“Openreach is just the same old snail’s paced network with a new shell. Call it what you like but it’s still BT, four times slower than Virgin Media.”
--- End quote ---

If VM had a cosistant service quality, at least equal to BT, then the whole landscape of broadband would be in a lot better shape than it is today.

Oldjim:
Of course as a more or less separate entity it will have to generate income to pay for the expansion and unless OFCOM stop screwing down the prices that isn't going to happen
Of course the one thing which isn't clear yet is how Openreach will handle the pension deficit which they will be landed with as, apparently, OFCOM don't take it into account unlike some of the other regulators

Chrysalis:
vm trying to mock when they have snail pace linx peering and single threaded speeds at adsl levels. ok

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version