Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: AA’s problems with slowness for users on TT Wholesale lines continue  (Read 3586 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick

Those Andrews and Arnold users who are connected via TalkTalk Wholesale have been having problems with slowness under certain conditions for a good while now. It turns out that the location of the problem has been identified and there is an effective temporary workaround. However testing still continues in order to find out the exact cause of the problem. See
    https://aastatus.net/2358
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 03:53:00 PM by Weaver »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

Ack.

I have been following the saga and see that the temporary workaround is to move everyone off the Telehouse interconnect.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP

That workaround also has shown tho that AAISP have good headroom (unlike certain other isps who run "just enough") to be able to switch those users over and maintain good performance at peak, if the 2 interconnect's were reasonably balanced then it would suggest at least 50% headroom.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

. . . if the 2 interconnect's were reasonably balanced then it would suggest at least 50% headroom.

Indeed. That is just how I interpreted it.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen

@Chrysalis - what is your opinion based on this level of headroom? What significance does it have? I'm not expressing this very well.

Will need free beers for TT-based customers. Or 3D-printed Orcs or some such sweeteners. I would not be happy.

[Moderator edited to merge two consecutive postings into one.]
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 06:09:51 PM by burakkucat »

andrew-AAISP

• ISP Rep
    • aa.net.uk

Those Andrews and Arnold users who are connected via TalkTalk Wholesale have been having problems with constant slowness for a good while now. It turns out that the location of the problem has been identified and there is an effective temporary workaround. However testing still continues in order to find out the exact cause of the problem. See
    https://aastatus.net/2358

Hi Weaver,
You say 'constant slowness', but that is not the issue being reported or investigated in that status post. If you are having constant slowness then please do get in touch with our support team as is sounds like a separate issue. The issue on that status post is slow single-thread TCP streams at peak time when we use our Telecity interconnect in to TalkTalk for some (not all) circuits.
A&A

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen

Thanks Andrew, mea culpa - my sloppy wording. Good you cleared that up. I have edited the original post to remove the inaccuracy. (I am a delighted AA user, "cwcc", but I don't have TT lines so that's why I don't know what I'm talking about.)

And welcome to the forum btw. It's a brilliant idea having an ISP staff member on kitz, thanks. Hope we will be seeing plenty of you.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 03:55:22 PM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen

Has this now been resolved?

jaydub

• Reg Member

It appears so looking at the results from the weekend testing.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen

Ah, I see some very scant details at
    https://aastatus.net/posts.cgi?itype=Broadband&oseverity=3

I do hope we will be able to get the full story from TalkTalk shortly. Should be interesting.

The whole thing has been a real long slog for all concerned, a bit of a nightmare for TT people as well as for AA and a pain for customers.

Was this AA thing a separate issue from the problems that other TalkTalk-based ISPs were having or were there common elements that affected a number of ISPs?

jaydub

• Reg Member
Re: AA’s problems with slowness for users on TT Wholesale lines continue
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 09:06:07 AM »

This is completely separate from the single thread speed issues I was seeing with Pulse8.

I actually thought at the time the improvement on my line may have been as a result of TTB working the A&A issue, but Adam at P8 assured me that the fix was as a direct result of his escalation.  Since it has taken another four weeks to resolve the A&A issue, I'm sure he was right.

The immediate reaction that P8 got from TTB was that you can't expect the single thread speeds to be the same as the multi thread speeds and it took me over 2 months from flagging the issue to P8 to it being resolved.

Even with the technical expertise of A&A pushing TTB it has taken over a month to reach resolution.

We can probably all draw our own conclusions about the quality of TTB's network engineering support from this.

I'm only staying where I am at the moment because P8 have dropped their prices, there is nothing wrong with my connection and my migration choices back from TTB are more limited and more costly than I would like.

If I start seeing any problems again, I will reconsider this position.

anything