Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Finding out if fitting a new faceplate is worthwhile?  (Read 3337 times)

13Xs

Finding out if fitting a new faceplate is worthwhile?
« on: March 06, 2017, 03:26:57 PM »

Hello folks,

I am about to move into a new build with a 5C master socket in the service cupboard and two extensions elsewhere in the flat (including one in the sitting room, which is where I'd like to put my router).

I know that splitting the VDSL from the phone signal at the master socket with a new faceplate is the best option but I can't see a way to make this work unless I'm prepared to start drilling (which I'm not) or to put the router in the cupboard (I could live with this if it was for a substantial gain).

So, my question is this - Will plugging the router into the master socket's test port via a microfilter give a good indication of the possible benefit of fitting a split faceplate or do I have to fit the faceplate first to find out?

Thanks.

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: Finding out if fitting a new faceplate is worthwhile?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 04:03:29 PM »

Yes, it will be pretty much the same as fitting a faceplate. I assume you mean you intend comparing speed at the test socket with a filter compared to speed at the extension.

13Xs

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 04:20:33 PM »

Yup, that's the plan. Thanks for confirming.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 05:04:25 PM »

If you don't need the telephone socket where you would like the router and there is a twisted pair wire that goes to that socket only (i.e. separate cables for each of the extensions) you could replace the extension socket with one you can plug the router into and attach the cable on the back of the filtered faceplate to the data terminals. That would avoid drilling holes and running a new cable.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

13Xs

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 07:03:59 PM »

Thanks for that suggestion. A problem would be that the extension in the sitting room is part of a modular panel and I'm having trouble finding an RJ11 or RJ45 module that would fit into it, but I'll see how it goes with the speed testing before making any decisions.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 07:09:48 PM »

I very much suspect there will little or no difference in the speeds. You could always still use the existing phone module and an adaptor if you don't need a phone. http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/rj11-to-telephone-adapter-ar34m

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 08:06:13 PM »

Couldn't you wire that extension to the 5C's data outlet (which is just an unfiltered connection I believe) and then plug a standard dongle filter into the extension socket if you wanted to use a phone there.
I know it's double filtering but it shouldn't lose you much speed.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 09:05:25 PM »

A problem would be that the extension in the sitting room is part of a modular panel and I'm having trouble finding an RJ11 or RJ45 module that would fit into it, . . .

It looks to be a fairly standard modular fitting.

Take a look at Run-IT-Direct, specifically the BT & Euro Modules and Euro Faceplates & Back Boxes pages. Here's the RJ45 module and the RJ11 module.

I have a faceplate, fitted to a standard "double gang" back box, which holds two BT631A modules, one RJ11 module and a blanking plate for the unused quarter.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 06:56:06 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.