Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Windows system restore issue.  (Read 3805 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Windows system restore issue.
« on: March 06, 2017, 12:34:51 AM »

It seems I've run in to a problem trying to use the system restore on windows.

It used to work but now it gives this error (I'll attach an image).

It seems a recent update in January might be the culprit. It seems to have messed up some of the windows directory file permissions.

http://borncity.com/win/2017/03/02/windows-10-update-kb3213986-kills-system-restore/

Microsoft’s cumulative January 2017 update KB3213986 seems to cause a serious issue in Windows 10 Anniversary Update. After installing this update, system restore fails with error 0x80070091.

I'm not sure how widespread this is as I'm sure most people assume it works, and we really only use the restore function as a last resort. I hope they get it fixed.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Windows system restore issue.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 02:54:16 AM »

system restore isnt even enabled by default on windows 10 which may go some way to explain why it may not have been noticed by many people, I think microsoft are planning to remove it.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 11:04:05 AM »

You are right about that. I remember I turned on system restore and it helped me ages ago when I was had changed a registry then had to update windows and I had usb problems. I managed to restore back, change the registry back, then update and everything went good again.

Why would they have the system restore set to off by default? I don't understand that.

For me the reason why I was doing a restore was because I was trying out PS4 Remote Play app that beams the ps4 screen on to windows. I was reluctant to put a ps4 controller in to the pc but it worked. Then when I shut that program down and unplugged the controller, I thought I better check it hasnt messed up my steam xbox one controller setup. I plugged the xbox one controller in and loaded up steam. It immediately acted like it was a new device and all the controls it had previously automatically setup had gone. So I was trying to restore back to the point before I installed PS4 Remote Play. I actually made a restore point for that purpose.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 08:03:18 PM »

Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 08:50:48 PM »

Thanks for the link parkdale! I'll have a read of that.

I think I found the problem with Steam. When I plugged in the ps4 controller it seems to set it as a hid-compliant game controller in device manager, which seems to register a controller as a mouse/keyboard device. Windows seems to get priority over the XInput device that proper gamepads use. I've found the entries in device manager. I might have an experiment in disabling the entries. I'd rather do that than uninstall them like some are doing.

So steam is probably seeing the controller as this hid device even though im selecting my xbox one controller..