Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Because I can't remember - is there any point in using DrTCP on fibre  (Read 4835 times)

Oldjim

• Reg Member
Re: Because I can't remember - is there any point in using DrTCP on fibre
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 09:43:45 AM »

Thanks Chrysalis
Will change to the numbers suggested although before I do this page seems to suggest a value of 580,000 which is a lot higher https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Guide-To-RWIN-amp-MTU/ba-p/1322233 also - and this contradicts both of these values - isn't the limit you can put in the field 65,535 as it is a 2 byte field or does the program do something with windows scaling - a value of 4 perhaps
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 10:08:17 AM by Oldjim »
Jim
Plusnet

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 01:04:57 PM »

windows scaling increases the byte limit.

you can try the higher value its up to you, I just suggested that as a starting point.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 09:28:59 PM »

Oldjim - correct this is a two byte wide field, but window scaling means that it is to be reinterpreted as something shifted left n places, so this is how you get the big values. The wider (shifted) result value that you can enter clearly has to be a multiple of 2n bytes and it has been suggested that you make the thing a multiple of MSS as discussed earlier, a slight tweak, not critical, if my understanding is correct (very rusty). I have heard of window scale shift values that are quite high, they are not always the smallest values that will reach a particular result. ( eg << 8 even though the result is nowhere big enough to need it.)
Pages: 1 [2]