Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: My list of potential new computers  (Read 12555 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
My list of potential new computers
« on: March 04, 2017, 10:56:29 AM »

Very hesitantly I am here for your views ( head held in shame for lack of knowledge :-[).
My current computer is giving up thr ghost, so I intend to replace it. I have found what is available in my budget at Ebuyer, and made a list of each specification, which is attached.

I hope some of you are willing to make observation on each, that will be helpful to me in deciding. Please!

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
Re: My list of potential new computers
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 11:25:14 AM »

Two comments or questions from me :

• Could you hang on until the AMD Ryzen lower order processors are out? Intel are sure to cut their prices when they come onto the market later this year ....
  • Ever considered a self-build?  I am guessing loads of people on here would help you with the specs if you needed it, assembling a PC is super-easy, all you need is a Philips screwdriver, a bottle of wine and 2-3 hours ....

Ebuyers reputation has also taken a bit of hammering lately, from what I have read, perosnally I like Scan.

Chunks

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 12:40:58 PM »

@ Chunkers  Thanks for reply
Hanging on.....doubtful, as it has annoyed me too long, and the missus tells me to get up and get out more.
Self build....I was born with 3 left hands on the right foot :(,not literally, but my skills are severely lacking. The bottle of wine seems attractive.

Ebuyer reputation...I was not aware. Can you elucidate, please? Aren't Scan's offerings more high end, than what I am looking for?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 12:43:04 PM »

You  haven't said what you'll be using it for, and how much storage you need.

Also do you need a new monitor or just the main PC.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 04:22:44 PM »

Mundane things with some photo editing (not extensive but moderate), some streaming to TV. Gaming is not an interest. Storage 500GB would be adequate, but if more is part of a good set up, I'll accept. Just the base unit is my want.

Sorry not to have been more specific, but I believed the item I gave and price range (£300-£400) may have given some clue. :)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 04:35:00 PM »

Was on my phone, so didn't look at the links,  I'll take a look  a bit.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 04:39:49 PM »

No prob! I wasn't taking a dig! ;D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 06:25:07 PM »

For the uses which you envisage you don't need a high powered processor, but extra memory might be useful. There's an example here which might suit: http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6219125
  Eric

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 07:25:26 PM »

I think they will all easily cope with what you want, but roseway has a good point you may need more than 4GB. I would also recommend an SSD for OS drive, perhaps keeping the HDD as a second drive.

Perhaps roseways suggestion with one of these as the main OS drive would make for quite a nippy PC for casual tasks, and come in at £378

I find this quite good for comparing CPU's, such as your existing CPU and the N3050

parkdale

• Reg Member
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 04:35:27 AM »

Depending on whether you would considered factory refurbished then perhaps worth checking out Dell's Euro outlet store.

I'm a self-build guy myself, but its obviously not for everyone - we use Dells exclusively at work and they are very robust and quiet, an i5 with 8gb RAM would be easy to find and probably within your budget.  Dell's warranties are also good, just check what they are offering on the unit.

Chunks

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 07:18:41 AM »

For the uses which you envisage you don't need a high powered processor, but extra memory might be useful. There's an example here which might suit: http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6219125
Unless there are things that counteract, the processor is slower than what I have now. How do Zoostorm rank in reliability and service? i think a time ago I heard "flimsy".

Thanks for suggestion. :) 

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 08:28:44 AM »

Whats actually wrong wih your current computer?

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 09:29:04 AM »

I think they will all easily cope with what you want, but roseway has a good point you may need more than 4GB. I would also recommend an SSD for OS drive, perhaps keeping the HDD as a second drive.

Perhaps roseways suggestion with one of these as the main OS drive would make for quite a nippy PC for casual tasks, and come in at £378

I find this quite good for comparing CPU's, such as your existing CPU and the N3050
Inquisitive, as usual, I tried to make sense of the final scores with various averages unsuccessfully. Are the methods explained anywhere?

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 09:38:54 AM »

Depending on whether you would considered factory refurbished then perhaps worth checking out Dell's Euro outlet store.

I'm a self-build guy myself, but its obviously not for everyone - we use Dells exclusively at work and they are very robust and quiet, an i5 with 8gb RAM would be easy to find and probably within your budget.  Dell's warranties are also good, just check what they are offering on the unit.

Chunks
Looked on that site, and there is very little there in the Home section in price range- only some Alieware gaming box. There are outfits in the Business section, but nothing in the specs on connectivity. That leaves me wondering, if, having been used in an office environment, it'slacking.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

anything